What's new
What's new

eBay RPCs

From the add:

"All components and wiring soldered (always a good connection)"

:wrong:

You ever buy a car before looking under the hood? Check what is inside first.

I can't speak for the particular company you are referencing but I purchased a 5 hp RPC on eBay from a company in Arizona that advertises there regularly. It was a finished unit and works very well. I use it to operate my 3-phase, 3 hp mill which is my only three-phase machine at present.

The motor has a cut-off shaft, which is common on factory-built RPC's. They say it's for safety. I guess it could be safer that way. Mine has a 3,450 prm motor and starts instantaneously when power is applied. It has some sort of a contactor in it.

The only complaint was that they only gave me a hookup diagram and won't give me a schematic so if anything ever blows, I'll have to figure out the wiring and capacitance on my own.

Good luck.

They're easy enough...

They're easy enough to build... if you're only using it for hobby (not in a commercial environment), learning-by-doing is very worthwhile... and extremely inexpensive.

They're easy enough to build... if you're only using it for hobby (not in a commercial environment), learning-by-doing is very worthwhile... and extremely inexpensive.

I agree. If I got another one, I'd just build one. I was in the middle of repairing my mill at the time and I wanted to get power to it when it was complete. Also, I looked on eBay and couldn't find a motor for less than $125 plus shipping at the time last year. So, I just went ahead and ordered a ready-made RPC. It did save me time and shipping was included in the price.

If I can ever get a good deal on a nice 3 ph motor, I'd like to build another one just for the fun ot it.

If I can ever get a good deal on a nice 3 ph motor, I'd like to build another one just for the fun ot it.

Just upgrade your existing box. Or if there isn't enough room then get a used
cabinet. Lights, push button switches, 3 phase power quality monitor, low voltage
controls, remote operator station, etc. are things you can add.

From some of the pre-built RPC's I have seen there is a lot left to be desired, no offense
but that is fact. And a price of $125 for a 5hp motor is not bad if it is new.

Thank for the comments guys. I think I will explore building my own RPC. And if that fails, then I will take a look at Phoenix Phase Converters.

Regards...

Phoenix Phase Converters BEWARE!

I would exercise extreme caution when dealing with Phoenix Phase Converters. They use the cheapest capacitors right off the slow boat from china and glue them together inside the panel. They are very unscrupulous individuals. Do you really want to save a few bucks on a cheap converter and risk the expensive equipment you are using to operate? Take a look at american rotary and see how much better they are built, or get the supplies to build your own from WNY supply.

Back