What's new
What's new

Hitachi VFD for my South Bend 16?

Plant machinist

Plastic
Looking at the Hitachi WJ200-55LF for my newly aquired South Bend 16 three phase - 3HP, if I remember right 30 amp. Also looking at the pot switch WJ-VL 2K. Thought I would check here for experienced input since​ the local electrical store recommended​ this model not that I don't trust them since this is in there field. I will also want to run a Bridgeport mill form this too when I find the one I want. Probably 1 to 11/2 HP.

I like the WJ200 VFDs, but the 055 model, at 5.5 kW (10 hp) is too big for your application. The 022 model can handle a nominal 4hp motor, and is a lot cheaper accordingly. You might be ok with the 015 model, which is cheaper still. Check the motor full load current and compare with the VFD current ratings.

It is listed on the data plate attached on the motor.

If there isn't one anymore, or it is unreadable, you can use the NEC required allowance, or assumed current. That is usually a high estimate. A 3 HP 230V motor has an NEC assumption of 9.6A, call it 10A..

Found it on the plate 220-9.5 amp / 440-4.75 amp. With that information​ which wj200 22 model would be best? I find different models. HF,LF,SF?

Back