What's new
What's new

"Heater" Help Needed

Avanti

Cast Iron
I have Grindzilla (my new 18"x3" Cincinnati pedestal grinder) rewired for 220 volts but now I need to find some heaters for the contacter. Grindzilla appears to be WWII vintage, but I am not sure. The link will take you to a high res picture of the heaters. (click on the link and select the photo of the heaters) Any idea if such an animal is still available and/or where I could procure some for about 15 amps?

https://publish.comcast.net/photos/index/

Your link doesn't work, probably was not meant to be used for external access. Use a site like Photobucket.com to upload the picture, then you can embed it directly into a post in here by following the instructions in the HTML tag FAQ page http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

In the mean time, what you will really need is the manufacturers name and model of the motor starter, then the part number of the heater. The number stamped on it, if any, is NOT always directly related to the current rating by the way, sometimes it is just a reference number.

If you don't know that, or you need a different size because you have changed the motor, then you need the motor nameplate Full Load Amps (it will say FLA or FLC on the plate) AND you will need the selection chart from that manufacturer, assuming they still exist.

It appears that stinking Comcrust has prevented access to my stored photos in their latest "upgrade".

The heaters are Square D and apparently B series, 8.2s. I think I need B16.5s or so, but have no clue as to where to look.

[FONT=&quot]WW Grainger carries Square D starters and parts. Or, do a Google search on "Square D thermal units" You should be able to find many sources.

Dennis[/FONT]

Thanks Modelrman. I had previously Googled a number of phrases like "Square D heaters" to no avail. "Square D thermal units" returned a bunch of hits. Grainger will have them to the local store by 1:00.
Jason

Back