What's new
What's new

New to VFD - Have an Omron VS mini J7 - Is this usable?

Chaldaean

Plastic
I have a 3-phase Alliant mill (variable speed via handwheel) in my basement. It came with a 3-phase-to-single-phase converter that was purchased on eBay. The converter is a homemade rig that is very simple, but, apparently, reduces horsepower by 1/3.

I'd like to go the VFD route mostly as a way to learn about it.

I happen to have an Omron VS mini J7 VFD CIMR-J7AZ20P4 AC Drive Motor Controller. Is this something that could be used to control the mill or is this not the correct application?

57.jpg

You don't give the HP of your motor. That VFD is good for .55kW, which is 3/4HP and is 3phase input only, that drive is not rated for a single phase input. If your motor is 3/4HP or less, it would work, but only if your input is 3phase. You MIGHT be able to use it on a single phase input if you can defeat any phase loss protection it might have, but you would need to do so by de-rating the drive current by 50% at least, which may also require temperature control, or as much as 65% if not. So that makes this drive good for 1/3HP at best, maybe 1/4HP.

I did your homework for you by looking up the ratings of that drive, but I can't read your mind on the HP of your machine, and I'm not going to download and read the manual for you to see if it can be used on your motor either, you have to invest in this process a little on your own here.

Jraef, thank you very much for your quick and very informative reply.

The motor on my Alliant mill is 2 HP, so this Omron VFD is not ideal. I've put it up for sale on eBay and will search for a suitable alternative.

Thanks, again, for pointing me in the right direction.

Back