What's new
What's new

Shorter ver., Two Speed Motor as Idler??

"Can you use a 2speed, 220v 3phase motor for an idler?"

Surely.

It is usually best if the idler is wired for the lower of the two speeds.

But, this assumes a "constant HP" motor (same HP rating at low and at high rpm settings).

However, if the motor is one of the six-wire, "variable torque", "consequent pole" motors, then the HP rating on the low speed setting is one-half the HP rating on the high speed setting.

In this case, you would wire the motor for the higher speed in order to have greater idler motor capacity.

Thanks Peter,
Sorry I had to grab you out of the Logan Group but when I saw your name I thought I would give you a shout there. I have a Logan 825 10" lathe and monitor the group every day or so. A picture of my Bridgeport is featured on the front page of the Yahoo Groups Bridgeport forum if your interested in the kind of work I do. I hesitate to say that it has been rebuilt, I’m sure you know what I mean fi you have been following the Logan forum for the last few days.
I don't know if you read my earlier post of 06/29/2005 on the same subject, that is, "2 speed motor as an idler". It has all the information relating to the 2hp motor I would like to use for my idler.
The motor plate says nothing about it being dual horsepower, only rates it as a 2hp, 2speed . It does have only six wires in the junction box or is it more properly called the “Peckerhead”? The first post also has all the info on the motor plate, wire tags and resistance readings that I took.
Thanks again,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Back