What's new
What's new

Input wiring for Hitachi WJ200-015SF

jcolley

Plastic
Greetings all.

Purchased a cylinder hone for my engine shop that has a 3/4HP main motor and a 1/4 coolant motor. Input power is 220V 3phase for this machine.

Purchased a Hitachi WJ200-015SF and received it today. Looking at the output side, no confusion there. Looking at the input side, there are 3 terminals labeled L1/blank/N. My shop has single phase power and I'm planning to locate the VFD on the wall next to the machine taking over a previous dedicated 220V outlet. Am I correct in thinking that one "line" (e.g. Red) from the breaker panel will go to the "L1" terminal and the second "line" (e.g. black) will go to the "N" terminal, leaving the remaining white (panel neutral) unused? Or is this going to smoke the unit and I need a 120/240 transformer to take a single "line" up to 220 and use the white neutral?

One "hot" connects to L1 and the other "hot" connects to N. I just looked at the Quick Start manual and it is clearly called out. The green ground should connect to the green screw. No white common is used with a 230 volt VFD.
If you do any programming, you might need to turn on all the parameters as the last one of these I programmed had an abbreviated parameter list. I don't remember the parameter number but is something like "display all parameters"

Good luck.

The input voltage needs to be 240VAC single phase, the manual shows the connection diagram. The neutral (commonly the white wire is NOT connected). As noted by the previous poster the 240VAC connections need to be to VFD input terminals L1 and N, a bit confusing but other countries do not use split phase so one leg is neutral.

To access all the WJ200 drive parameters:
1. Change B037 to "00" for full display of all functions. You must press both the up and down arrows to access single-digit edit mode since this feature is not accessible in the default basic display. You must change B037 before you can change B031.

AND THEN
2. Change B031 to "10". This unlocks all the high level program functions for editing.

I assume you want to run both motors off of the same VFD, so it can be a bit problematic in setting the motor parameters, and you will loose the benefit of overload parameters being specific to the each motor. Convention would be to have each motor separately fused. The VFD would need to be run in Constant Torque (A044) which is the default.

I don't know *why* these are shipped with the locked-out parameter ranges - but I can say for sure that
mine was. Originally from hitachi, or done by a re-seller for whatever reason. But it was infuriating because
they paper manual specifically states you need to set this value, and that value, etc.

But those parameter ranges were locked out!

Had to look *deep* into the manual to find the information listed above, to open up all the values that could
be changed.

Back