What's new

JET JDP-20VS-3 Drill Press motor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Offfishn

Plastic
Hi folks,
Hope I post this in the right place.

I have a JET JDP-20VS-3 that is running on 240v 3 phase and I want to move it to my shed up north. The shed is just 240v single phase, so I want to replace the 3ph motor with a single phase one.
The motor plaque gives me a lot of data, but not the motor frame type.

Does anyone have this model and perhaps know the motor frame type?

thanks...ed

20160914_073103[1].jpg

Buy a vfd to convert the 240 single phase to 240 3 phase. No screwing around changing the motor, plus you get the advantage of variable speed. VFD will cost about the same as replacement motor.

Tom

Hi folks,

I have a JET JDP-20VS-3 that is running on 240v 3 phase and I want to move it to my shed up north. The shed is just 240v single phase, so I want to replace the 3ph motor with a single phase one.

thanks...ed

View attachment 180862

The motor plate indicates that it is setup as a two speed motor. If you install a single phase motor, you will only have the high speed. Not necessarily a problem, just need to be aware of what you will have.

In the end, the VFD will probably be cheaper and easier than replacing the existing motor.

The motor plate indicates that it is setup as a two speed motor. If you install a single phase motor, you will only have the high speed. Not necessarily a problem, just need to be aware of what you will have.

In the end, the VFD will probably be cheaper and easier than replacing the existing motor.

How will the 2 speed motor work with the VFD?

How will the 2 speed motor work with the VFD?

Motor will work fine. Only restriction is not to change speeds while the VFD is powering the motor. The VFD frequency can be changed, just not switch the windings under power.

If the 3ph motor is swapped for a single phase, the two speed winding selection will be gone and the wiring changed accordingly.

One downside to the static phase converter is that the motor will be-rated by about half.

Hi folks,

thanks...ed

View attachment 180862

Jet must do. They supplied them with both types. See if you can find a manual for the 1-P one and glom the info outta the parts list. Only thing you'll lose is 'instant' reversal - if even you have or use that capability at all.

Small motor, cheap enough. Not as if it were a 'real' drillpress with 5 or 10 HP.

Ain't really worth the investment in a VFD.

OTOH, a modest-sized RPC might make your 'secondary' shop a friendlier place for that DP and several OTHER 3-P goods.

Bill

Hi folks,

Use this to figure it out:
http://www.pooleyinc.com/pdf/Nema Shaft Size.pdf

I briefly looked at the manual.
The single phase 1.5 hp motor option with variable speed has a range of 300-2000 rpm.
The three phase 2 hp motor option with variable speed has a range of 150-2000 rpm.

Decision:
1. Do youPwant the very low speed range with the three phase motor. The choices would be:
- Rotary phase Converter or RPC. (requires a second motor with low to medium cost)
- Static Phase Converter. (low cost)
- Electronic Phase Converter. (elegant with high cost)
- Variable Frequency Drive or VFD. (medium cost)

You already are using the variable speed control arm on the motor/pulley compartment so a VFD would be a waste. Unless you like the idea of varying the speed with a little potentiometer. :rolleyes5: The options here will leave the drill press in stock condition and allow you the option to power other three phase machines in the future if the HP rating of the phase converter or VFD is high enough. If you only want to power the drill press then a small VFD is probably the best and cheapest way to go.

2. A single phase 2 hp motor replacement will allow you dual voltage connection (115/230) with slightly higher low speed range. The high/low speed switch can be removed and replaced with a green indicator lamp. A new motor can cost a few hundred dollars which I would put in the medium cost category.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you determined the frame size. I just acquired a 1 phase version of this drill press with a bent motor shaft and need to find a replacement motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back