What's new
What's new

KBPC-240d running wide open ! :O

cardman

Plastic
Hey guys I purchased a KBPC-240 penta drive for my 2 hp 180 volt dc baldor motor that powers a homemade 2x72 belt grinder. IT had been running fine for months, until this morning when i fired it up it immediately took off at 100% speed with no slow ramp up as it does in normal operation, i open the cover and one jumper wire going from L1A to L1b was stuck to the jumper wire that goes from A1B to A1A it doesn't look like it melted all the way through shorting the connections out but not 100% sure, Looking in the book these connections are for an optional line cut off switch and jog switch. All other components look fine i also inspected the backside of the board and all solder joints are ok. Instead of sending it in for repairs i was going to purchase a new drive for now and try to fix this one myself if anyone had any idea about what could be the problem i would sure appreciate it thanks :D

It is a DC drive. Full speed is expected if the control transistor shorts.

Also, full speed can result from a wire (common connection) on the speed control comes loose or breaks, or if control is bad in certain ways.

I do not know what the particular jumpers do, they do not seém to be mentioned in manual. Melted wires suggest a high current, and coltrol transistor problems.

Back