What's new
What's new

3 phase motor question

B Sutherland

Plastic
I have a 3 phase motor on a lathe that i've acquired and I'm wiring in a new motor control circuit as it is missing.
It's a open frame, two speed motor (1760/1140), 3hp at both speeds made by British Thomson Houston. It's two separate windings with the leads marked Ha,Hb,Hc and La,Lb,Lc. Before I hooked it up I used a continuity tester to make sure I had the right leads grouped together when wiring at the relay panel as the leads weren't marked at the panel.
When I applied the tester to the low speed leads continuity was indicated by a steady tone and had a reading of 7 ohms between leads. I decided to rotate the shaft and the tone on my tester was beeping and the resistance on my meter was changing.
When I tried the high speed leads the tone was steady and the ohm reading was 7 ohms. When I rotated the shaft during this test the tone stayed steady and the resistance stayed the same.
I've put new bearings in the motor as the old ones weren't in great shape. The motor has been vacuumed out and blown out and there is nothing obvious to me to as what is causing this. Any other tests that I should do before it's taken to a motor shop?

You may want to try across the line starting (without using the machine's motor controls) to verify that the motor does or does not run. The leads labeled H should provide 1760 rpm, those labeled L should run 1140 rpm.

One easy test is to use an AC ammeter to verify current draw. This can either be a clamp type or a conventional meter installed in one of the three phase connections. Flip the disconnect to the on position & the motor should draw about 3 amps per hp at 240v (the initial inrush will be about five times that much, but will last only about a second or two). If the motor starts quickly & the amp draw is about 3a/hp, check the draw on each of the other two legs. If all are about equal, the motor should be good enough to use.

You'll want to do this test on both the High & the Low windings.

---------------
Barry Milton

The other thing i will like to add about this multispeed motor set up if you have the nameplate it will tell you the connections there.

if this motor is a single voltage then it will have a pairs of 3 leads comming out of the motor itself and btw for high and low speed the overload protection it will be diffrent because few thing it will happend is that it will have diffrent current drawage for both low and high speed set up.

if that is the fact then you will have to wired up two overload heater coils one will sized for high speed and other will sized for low speed.

[ very rare have both at the same amparge so watch out on this one ]

some case i will just megger it to make sure the windings are good sometime they can have hidden burn out coil [ it will show up from time to time ]

if the motor is running and check the current drawage it should be about 9 1/2 amp range @ 240 volt supply [ if on 208 volts it will increase some but not much ]

if this motor is on 480 it should be about 4 1/4 or so you may have to double check the nameplate to verify it

Merci, Marc

Back