What's new
What's new

L15-20 ok for wye power?

Royldean

Stainless
Wiring up our instron 5988, and it requires wye 3 phase. Electrician installed L15-20 outlet.... Wiring diagram for the instron plainly shows separate ground and neutral wires.

My thinking is that we need to upgrade to L21-20, but I ain't no 'lectrician. What say the experienced?

Wiring up our instron 5988, and it requires wye 3 phase. Electrician installed L15-20 outlet.... Wiring diagram for the instron plainly shows separate ground and neutral wires.

My thinking is that we need to upgrade to L21-20, but I ain't no 'lectrician. What say the experienced?
I would. An L15 would not be appropriate for a Wye 3 phase system if you are going to use the Neutral in the machine. Not all machines use it though, so it depends on the internal connections of components inside. If you go with the L21, you don't need to think about it.

Being a 'Lectrician does not automatically mean he knows everything about everything electrical. Lots of them never hook up a machine in their entire lives. An old contractor customer of mine who did strictly industrial work had an image of an outhouse on his business card. The reason was that because it always made people ask why, so he could answer that in the State of Oregon, if you can wire up a 3 way light switch to an outhouse, you too can pass the test to be a 'lectrician, but that doesn't mean you can be trusted with machinery systems.

I would. An L15 would not be appropriate for a Wye 3 phase system if you are going to use the Neutral in the machine. Not all machines use it though, so it depends on the internal connections of components inside. If you go with the L21, you don't need to think about it.

Being a 'Lectrician does not automatically mean he knows everything about everything electrical. Lots of them never hook up a machine in their entire lives. An old contractor customer of mine who did strictly industrial work had an image of an outhouse on his business card. The reason was that because it always made people ask why, so he could answer that in the State of Oregon, if you can wire up a 3 way light switch to an outhouse, you too can pass the test to be a 'lectrician, but that doesn't mean you can be trusted with machinery systems.

Fancy outhouses in that state, 'lectric lights and everything.

I recall my grandmother telling me that it took my grandfather a lot of figuring to get a three way light switch setup for his garage, *and* a receptacle that was always live - using only three wires to the building.

Back