What's new
What's new

Lincoln DC 400 3 phase conversion

Brian 315

Plastic
I've been reading all the great info about the haas/kamp single phase conversions on the site.I picked up a lincoln dc400 and a ln-10 feeder for 300 bucks and would sure like to ba able to run it on single phase instead of building a rpc.
So far I have tested the machine using a Phase A Matic SPC just to verify that things energize and seem to operate controls ect. I didnt weld with it hooked up to the SPC, but the cooling fan and the wire feeder seem to work fine after i swapped the line voltage taps on the control transformer and made the "A" phase the phantom leg, and "B" and "C" phases line voltage.
After looking at the diagrams for the machine and the actual wiring I think that the X1 main transformer coil is the one that would be used on the phantom leg. This particular machine has 9 leads coming to the reconnect panel from the actual welder coils.
I'm somewhat confused about how to retap these leads and add the caps.
I did read a post about a cv 400 conversion, but it was kind of convoluted as to how it all ended up working, no disrespect meant.
Any help would be great
, thanks.

Last edited:
Diagram and additional info

I was able to extract the wiring diagram for the pdf manual. this machine is a code # 11351, 230/460 v 60hz model. the reconnect diagram is the one in the upper left corner, 9 leads from welder to the panel. This machine has NO 220v aux transformer on the X1 coil. It also has no #s 10,11,12 between the X1,X2,X3. I assume that the line voltage connections should go to the X2 & X3 coils, Fan aux xformer on X2, and 42v xformer on X3.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 3,478
I've been reading all the great info about the haas/kamp single phase conversions on the site.I picked up a lincoln dc400 and a ln-10 feeder for 300 bucks and would sure like to ba able to run it on single phase instead of building a rpc.
So far I have tested the machine using a Phase A Matic SPC just to verify that things energize and seem to operate controls ect. I didnt weld with it hooked up to the SPC, but the cooling fan and the wire feeder seem to work fine after i swapped the line voltage taps on the control transformer and made the "A" phase the phantom leg, and "B" and "C" phases line voltage.
After looking at the diagrams for the machine and the actual wiring I think that the X1 main transformer coil is the one that would be used on the phantom leg. This particular machine has 9 leads coming to the reconnect panel from the actual welder coils.
I'm somewhat confused about how to retap these leads and add the caps.
I did read a post about a cv 400 conversion, but it was kind of convoluted as to how it all ended up working, no disrespect meant.
Any help would be great
, thanks.

I don't know if you ever got this successfully going or not, but I'm probably the one that had the confusing post that you referenced, and I apologize for that. That was an attempt for me to document what I was doing as I went along, and it got messy.

In the end, the conversion of the CV400/DC400 is slightly different than most of the Miller conversions. The Lincoln schematics are also a little bit harder to follow, I believe. I attached a schematic of where I ended up in the end. Note that only one leg goes to each coil, not two legs like the Millers. Then, the coils are all connected in parallel with the physical connections inside the connection box. (For me, the one exception there was the 10,11,12 connection, which is a physically welded connection inside of the machine).

Good luck in getting this going, if you haven't already!!!

Final CV400_DC400 schematic 240V.jpg

Hi guys, I’m wondering if anyone has step by step instructions for me so I could do this on my machine, I’m not so great with electrical.

I'm in a similar boat. Trying to help a buddy get his CV300 converted over. Was able to separate the 10,11,12 connection and try a more pure Haas/Kamp conversion across the two parallel primaries, which didn't try to work at all. The CADman setup, as pictured, almost kinda works. But welds are spattery and ugly. Tried capacitance between 240 and 540 & didn't change much. Just hummed more the more capacitance we added.

20180526_121144.jpg

Back