What's new
What's new

Lincoln Idealarc R3S-325: Another Haas-Kamp conversion candidate?

gkbikers

Aluminum
I have read about the Haas-Kamp three ( 3 ) phase to single ( 1 ) phase conversions with great interest, typically regarding the Miller cp-200 208v / 230v / 460v machines. However, I have not seen much information about other welders (albeit Mr. DaveKamp has done three different machines) . I have a question about an Idealarc R3S-325. I have seen one of these available recently and wondered if this would be a good candidate to convert to single phase.

I believe it does have a simple circuit board, but no electronics. From what I can find, it appears to have three copper wound transformers. The face plate reads 230v / 460v, 3 phase, 60hz. I do not have the actual serial number, but all the Lincoln operator manual Code Numbers and Manual Descriptions refer to the same manual, namely Manual Number IM285. The wiring diagram from this manual is found in this document ( http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/servicenavigator-public/lincoln3/im285.pdf ).

Idealarc.R3S-425.diagram.jpg

On another site - a welding forum - a senior member, johnny waz, posted the following (edited):
Lincoln Idealarc, R3R-300?
07-26-2006, 02:19 PM
I recently purchased a, Lincoln idealarc r3r-300 welder. Welder is 3-phase and I currently only have 1-phase. So last night I wired 1 hot lead to L1, and the other hot lead to L3. Then I put a jumper wire from L3 to L2. When I plugged the welder in, and flipped the switch it fired right up and the fan worked to. So at that point I shut it off, hooked up a stinger, and ground cable got a chunk of steel and started to weld. To my surprise the welds were BEAUTIFUL.

I know that the R3R-300 is not the same as the machine in question, but it leads me to believe that the R3S-350 may be a candidate for some type of single phase conversion.

While I am certainly an extreme "electrical/electronics" novice (and that term gives me too much credit ! ), I have wired up a rotary phase converter purchased from a vendor and hooked up a 3 phase super service drill (love it!) and it works great. :D I also (among other things) wired up my Lincoln 300/300 TIG machine, but it is single phase.

So, to my question again. Would the R3S-350 be a good candidate and if so, how and why? Any helpful suggestions on how I could proceed if I purchased this machine? I only have single phase power to my shop.

Many thanks to all who can give constructive, helpful comments.

gkbikers

Did you purchase this welder? And if so, we're you able to convert it for efficient single phase use

Hi Adam.

I did purchase that welder, plus five more (a gentleman that was reconditioning welders needed to "clear some space"), so he gave me a very nice package deal. I have not gotten around to working on these as I have other projects that jumped in front of them. But, I will get to them eventually.

Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

gkbikers

Back