Looking for a company to manufacture custom DC control
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Looking for a company to manufacture custom DC control

    I am looking for a manufacture to build/design a custom 120VDC drive for a boat winch drive that we build. We are currently using reversing contactors and would like to go to solid state with soft start. Current draw around 10 amps. Anyone know of a qualified company that would do this kind of thing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13969
    Likes (Received)
    3587

    Default

    120v DC? If you mean 12v DC, then an off the shelf Alltrax AXE 2434 DC motor controller would work great.

    Alltrax AXE Products Page

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philabuster View Post
    120v DC? If you mean 12v DC, then an off the shelf Alltrax AXE 2434 DC motor controller would work great.

    Alltrax AXE Products Page
    I need 120VDC and most likely need custom design. Usage will be 2,000 pieces per year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13969
    Likes (Received)
    3587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ORAGRAG View Post
    I need 120VDC and most likely need custom design. Usage will be 2,000 pieces per year.
    What is the input voltage and is it AC or DC?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kitchener, on canada
    Posts
    679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    123

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Farmersville, oh (Dayton/Cinti area)
    Posts
    1,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    208
    Likes (Received)
    127

    Default

    pm sent -- g

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    14,610
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    830
    Likes (Received)
    1678

    Default

    Does it have to be DC?

    There might be advantages to not doing DC..........

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6925
    Likes (Received)
    5204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ORAGRAG View Post
    I am looking for a manufacture to build/design a custom 120VDC drive for a boat winch drive that we build. We are currently using reversing contactors and would like to go to solid state with soft start. Current draw around 10 amps. Anyone know of a qualified company that would do this kind of thing?
    Dockside/slipside/boat shed .. shore-based service?

    Or seagoing use?

    Driven motor specs? Wound or PM? HP?

    Bill

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    LeClaire, Ia
    Posts
    2,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    276

    Default Four components...

    Bridge rectifier, polarity switch, series resistor, timer relay... and a power-off contactor to shunt the motor leads for dynamic braking... and done!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6925
    Likes (Received)
    5204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    Bridge rectifier, polarity switch, series resistor, timer relay... and a power-off contactor to shunt the motor leads for dynamic braking... and done!
    Sure wouldn't want to rely on that combo for responsiveness if hoisting cargo or trimming sails....

    Nor necessarily on a typical 'DC Drive', either. Marine environment? Salt-spray? Immersion? Near-miss lightning strikes?

    This app MAY need to be fail-safe or no-fail, AND fast to repair without spares ... even if that means imperfectly smooth..

    This is not a new challenge, BTW... Not by close-on a hundred years and counting.


  11. Likes ignator liked this post
  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AR, USA
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Dockside/slipside/boat shed .. shore-based service?

    Or seagoing use?

    Driven motor specs? Wound or PM? HP?

    Bill
    Not looking to design the drive on the forum. Just looking to see if any members know of a manufacture that we can work with.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16,765
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6925
    Likes (Received)
    5204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ORAGRAG View Post
    Not looking to design the drive on the forum. Just looking to see if any members know of a manufacture that we can work with.
    Among a community this size?

    Dozens. Maybe even hundreds. One or three of them might even be a fit to your needs.

    If we knew more than '120VDC drive for a boat winch drive we build'.

    Given the broad nature, I'd suggest these folks as having all the right credentials, motors, drives, and controls alike, though they are as much Engineers, designers, specifiers, and integration contractors as OEM manufacturers these days:

    Ward Leonard - Excellence In Motor and Control Solutions

    U.S Navy has been a repeat customer for a hundred or so years, so they seem to know their stuff as to working around the water.

    Or under it.



    Bill

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lino Lakes, Minnesota
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    I have made contact with several of the members recommendations and now just need to pick one out to work with. Thanks for everyone's help.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •