What's new
What's new

Looking for a small manual surface grinder. What type of power requirement is typical

J S Machine

Plastic
I want to buy a small manual surface grinder - maybe 6x12 or 6x18. I am familiar with a Chevalier FSG618M because I used to use one of those at a place I worked. From what I understand, that model is actually 480v three phase.

Some of the others I have found are 220 three phase.

The question I have is what type of power requirement is common? I only have 240v in my shop. I don't know what my options are but I would rather not have to deal with three phase. If there are models out there that run on typical 240, I'd like to know how to find them or maybe some suggestions on models would be good.

Thanks for the help.

IMO, it's desirable for a grinder to use a 3-phase motor for reasons of smoothness. Power isn't usually huge, so get a VFD from Automation Direct for some reasonable input voltage you have available, and the grinder motor nameplate. The variable speed is really nice to have. All the small 6x12 grinders seem very similar to me- we had a Harig where I used to work and now I've got a Boyar Shultz. The 220VAC 3-phase motor runs fine with the VFD on a 120 VAC low current single phase line. No doubt some are built better than others, Brown & Sharpe being high on the list, but they all get the job done if in good repair.

Anything above a benchtop will be 3-phase.
But they don't need much, even most 6x18s will only be 1 and a half hp.
480 machines can be rewired to 240 with ease in 99% of the cases. It is possible to run into a bastard rewired spindle without the leads to switch over.
This is a five minute job on most. A bit more if there is a control panel transformer to swap leads on and maybe some heaters to change.
On a Harig 440 machine you remove the transformer going to the oil pump as it wants 220/240. Stick in a 110 little giant pump and you will need this transformer to get the 220 down to 110.

Little VFD, many sources. Since you do not have 3 phase in you might want to buy a bit bigger unit as you are giving up part of the input circuit.
Nice thing about a VFD is that you don't have to wait two days for the spindle to stop or get tempted to stop it with your hand.
Also they just start nicer and won't shift a wheel that is not real tight on the adapter.
Not to mention that you can play with speeds as the wheel gets smaller or is 7 inches and can toy around with slow speed, deep plunge grinding.
Bob

Should I just look for a small benchtop? I need it for making knives. All I am doing is surface grinding blades. I don't need huge amounts of power or versatility.

The bench machines are sought after by home shop folks, so often command a higher price than a more typical machine. For such a small motor, I wouldn't let this problem rent space in my brain. The VFD is cheap and easy to install for such minimal motor. Just shop for a machine that will suit your budget and plan on putting a VFD on it. /done.

Back