What's new
What's new

moore jig borer #2 wiring issues

E SCOTT

Plastic
I have a new to me Moore #2 jig borer. I have hooked it up to an AC drive and a 15 horse rotary. I am suppling 220 3 phase. Lights will come on momentarily but nothing works. can hear buzzing in cabinet when I push the high speed button. Help needed please. I have the engage lever engaged.

Thanks from a new member.

Welcome to the Forum E Scott. Could you elaborate on the phrase "AC drive and 15hp rotary", not quite sure what you're saying.

Was this machine connected for 240 before you acquired it or maybe connected for 480 volts..that fact makes a huge difference. Mag coils and control transformers should be connected to true line legs, not the generated third leg! Make sense.

Stuart

thanks I have it connected to a 15 horse power rotary phase converter. since my first posting i have discovered that if i manually actuate the magnetic switches the motor will run, but something is not quite right. Switch panel still does not work. They told me it was wired for 220. i got it to run backwards and forwards by switching leads.

Check that your manufactured phase is not on either of the line terminals that supply your control transformer circuit.

SAF Ω

Mine is 440 volt only. Check your motor label. Also do as #5 above.

seller said Machine was 220, but it is not it is 440 only. I got it all to run at reduced speeds by hot wiring the motor. I have no experience with 440 volts. I assume a transformer is in order? Suggestions are welcome.

If I understand your post you're indicating that your machine is indeed wired for 480 volts. Most of the time, but not always, a machine can be multi-voltage configurable. A 9 lead motor can be connected either 240 or 480 volt as well as a control transformer. The only fly in the ointment is voltage requirement for the coils on any contactor and the overload heaters in the overload relay. Those two items must be spec'd for the proper voltage and current draw of the motor.

The only way the machine could be 480 volts 'ONLY' is if the motor was rewound at some point and the leads were 'clipped' to 3 wires. This is provided the motor was multi-voltage to begin with.

If you pull the junction box cover on the motor, count how many wires you have..if it's more than 3 you're probably going to be OK.

Do you have a friend that's more electrical savvy and could lend a hand?

Stuart

If I understand your post you're indicating that your machine is indeed wired for 480 volts. Most of the time, but not always, a machine can be multi-voltage configurable. A 9 lead motor can be connected either 240 or 480 volt as well as a control transformer. The only fly in the ointment is voltage requirement for the coils on any contactor and the overload heaters in the overload relay. Those two items must be spec'd for the proper voltage and current draw of the motor.

The only way the machine could be 480 volts 'ONLY' is if the motor was rewound at some point and the leads were 'clipped' to 3 wires. This is provided the motor was multi-voltage to begin with.

If you pull the junction box cover on the motor, count how many wires you have..if it's more than 3 you're probably going to be OK.

Do you have a friend that's more electrical savvy and could lend a hand?

Stuart

Stuart

Thank you for the info. I will take some photos today and post them later.

The Moore motors are probably 440 only. I left the original wiring as is, except for the contactor control circuit which I supplied with 120 volts. I then installed a 240 Volt VFD feeding a 240/480 Volt transformer which then fed the contactor contact circuit.

To run the machine secure the VFD off then turn the control circuit on and select fast or slow speed. Then turn the VFD on and operate as usual with the raise/lower belt motor.

I did it this way to enable normal operation of the 'reeves' drives and in the event it gets passed on to someone with the correct voltage available

The Moore motors are probably 440 only. I left the original wiring as is, except for the contactor control circuit which I supplied with 120 volts. I then installed a 240 Volt VFD feeding a 240/480 Volt transformer which then fed the contactor contact circuit.

To run the machine secure the VFD off then turn the control circuit on and select fast or slow speed. Then turn the VFD on and operate as usual with the raise/lower belt motor.

I did it this way to enable normal operation of the 'reeves' drives and in the event it gets passed on to someone with the correct voltage available

Thanks this appears to be my path forward also. The motor is 440 only so i am transformer shopping.

Back