What's new
What's new

Rotary phase converters ?

dicer

Cast Iron
I've have done the do it yourself rotary phase converter deal in the past, using a capacitor bank to jump the 3rd leg.

Question. On the commercially available converters, I feel the right way to do it would be to have extra windings on the 3rd leg with in the motor since that is a generated phase from those windings. So the question is do outfits like Roto-Phase do that, or do they just purchase a motor like any of us can do and hang a box with caps on it and a sticker that says roto phase????????

And one other question are we in agreement that said motor should be a "Y" connected deal???? A delta would have all the single phase across one winding.

Most units today just use standard three phase motors, but there are some out there that do have special design rotors ( high resistance ) or modified end rings. Ronk did have a rotoverter that had winding taps on the manufactured leg.
You can use either a wye or delta type winding for a RPC

My Arco has a special design motor, with different end bells, and copper (not aluminum) rotor bars.... End metal is turned to increase resistance for better starting, but I believe there is a second set of bars below the thin copper ones, for normal operation.

They would want to fix it up to start with a capacitor which is optimized for operation, since it has only one oil-filled cap doing duty as start cap and running balance cap.

Back