What's new
What's new

My one year old phase o matic has started clicking when not in use

I would suggest checking the line and load connections first. Then opening the unit for a visual inspection.
If you find nothing amiss there, then a call to phase-a-matic. They should be familiar with the problem with their equipment.

SAF Ω

Mine started doing that once, or maybe it was more of buzzing. I unplugged it, left if for a while then plugged it back in and it hasn't done it since. I know that line filters can produce noise based on the components and load so I wasn't too surprised.

Had similar problem with a tempco replaced capacitors and runs great again.Did start out clicking then stopped working.Found that you can only stop and start them about 6-8 times in an hour or you kill the capacitor.

I use the same unit to power my step belt Bridgeport and Clausing lathe. Only time the relay (I think) chatters is when I really put an extreme (over?) load on it. A couple of months ago I tried to run my lathe while unaware that a low voltage brownout was occurring. The capacitor blew and the cardboard isolators inside the box were scorched. I bought a new cap and all is well again. Though I also bought a back up phase converter that uses dual caps - no idea if dual caps is better or not.

Had similar problem with a tempco replaced capacitors and runs great again.Did start out clicking then stopped working.Found that you can only stop and start them about 6-8 times in an hour or you kill the capacitor.

Back