What's new
What's new

NEC Handbook Editions

AnAirplane

Aluminum
So not an electrification by trade, nor even have that many hours under my belt wiring, but I would like to get more proficient. Don't one want to one those guys that have haphazard wires sticking out everywhere, and conduit laid where you smack your head into it while you walk by. I've witnessed to many "why would you do that" setups in many shops. Even if I have a professional do a wiring job, I would still at least be able to confidently identify and say, "no that's wrong, start over."

I'm assuming studying the NEC Hand book should help stave off learning bad habits early. Problem is, which edition should I buy?

Is it worth buying the 2014, when the 2017 is coming out soon - should I wait for it to release?​

Is the 2008 edition worth it or not? A comparison list I found shows that it's mostly just the arc/ground fault equipment requirements for households that was added to the 2014 edition. I namely ask, because the 2008 is dirt cheap.​

Is there any other guide books, or resources I should be aware of for shop wiring?​

Thank in advance.

If you are not an electrician or very familiar with the subject, I think you will find the actual NEC handbook almost indecipherable. I suggest you start with an internet search for information that explains the portion of the NEC you're interested in.

I picked up an older copy of the "Illustrated Guide to the National Electrical Code" pretty cheap. It doesn't replace the NEC and I doubt it covers everything but it is very readable. The "SPD (Selecting Protective Devices) Electrical protection handbook" is also worth taking a look at and can be downloaded from the Bussmann website.

As to the version issue, it will depend on what version your State adopts. The NEC is a "national" document, but is enforced by states or state supported entities. So each state "adopts" the NEC in it's own good time, mostly based on how long it takes to train their own resources (inspectors, reviewers, etc.). Bigger states, like mine (California) have at least a 3-4 year backlog, right now it's going on 6! Illinois and some others are still using the 2011 code! Washington State is on the 2014 code, but you could try contacting your State code enforcement office 9whatever thye may call it) and find out how long before they adopt the 2017 when it comes out. I'd bet some time around 2019, because I had printed this out for someone last year and it still showed Wa as being 2011.
necineffect7116.jpg

Bechtel has a good electrical handbook. I have a copy dated 1999 and got it off scrib a few years ago. You might be able to find a newer version. It is a good start and easier to read than the books you are after. If you HAVE to get a NEC book, the on-line NEC 2007 is going to be more than you need, and it is free.

I've got a copy of the 2008 NEC Handbook, and will probably buy a 2017 edition just because it's been 9 years. While things do change between editions, the vast majority of the material stays the same, and you can find trade websites that highlight the changes every three years.

A cheap copy of the 2008 edition will quickly make it clear to you if it's worth investing in a current copy. Depending on your background, and your tolerance for trade-specific language, the NEC Handbook is either a great, detailed reference, or a self-cross-referencing morass that makes lawyers look like plain speakers.

I still use a copy from 1990ish. They only make very small changes in each edition and the fundamentals will be the same. Some of the info about GFCIs and other more residential apps are out of date in my edition, but the stuff I use like ampacity tables, conduit fill, voltage drop, motor amps, etc is all the same.

Electrical Study Material

For beginners the NEC is not very well suited to self study, because it's basically a law book of rules and tables, not how to material. The handbook is better with some explanations and illustrations, but still not a basic starter course. These two are best used with some classes for those starting out.

Here's a link for a 2011 NEC not a handbook version, the picture presented is incorrect.
National Electrical Code : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

A better book for self study is The American Electricians Handbook, probably way more than you need, but it covers it all, and you can study the sections your interested in.
simpte.ch/ebooks/New/American%20Electricians'%20Handbook%2015th%20Edition.pdf

For a good pocket shop reference with tables, drawings and formulas is Ugly's Electrical Reference, sparky's have been using it for years in the toolbox.
order yourself a spiral bound paper copy its well worth it to have at your bench. It's available at Home Depot and electrical wholesalers or direct at

Ugly's Electrical Books | Setting the Standard in Electrical References

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5D2BFAD9772FBE27BD1B3AB0B4229A78F5B755E2&dn=ugly+s+electrical+references+2+jones+pdf&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fglotorrents.pw%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

And for the history buffs the NEC goes back to 1897 a copy of it and other oldies can be found here:
Internet Archive Search: National Electrical Code

SAF Ω

SAF makes a good point. The NEC Handbook is the NEC code supplemented with commentary and illustrations. Still not a how-to guide, but much, much easier to follow than the pure code.

There are 3rd party interpretation books, intended for exactly the purpose of explaining the NEC in practical terms.

From reputable publishers they are good. I had a McGraw-Hill version years ago, that was very good. Out of date by 6 editions by now, I suspect. Most are better than the NEC alone, and usually considerably better than the handbook. Much more of a how-to, usually with photos of the right way and example wrong ways to do it.

Best place to start is with Mike Holt. Mike Holt is indeed the authority on electrical code and good practice; he's even petitioned and got the NEC to change some of the standards in the NEC.

His website is: Mike Holt Enterprises Home

Following are some seminars he has given and uploaded to youtube.

1 hour seminar on Grounding Versus Bonding:
Grounding - Safety Fundamentals (1hr:13min:19sec) - YouTube

26 Minute seminar on grounding myths:
6 of 7 Grounding Myths (26min:55sec) - YouTube

1 hour seminar on protecting against electrical shock:
Grounding - Safety Fundamentals (1hr:13min:19sec) - YouTube

And an important one on Open Neutrals:
YouTube

Many of his books are on Amazon and on Ebay as well.

The "Grounding versus Bonding" textbook is a great source as is the "Mike Holt's Illustrated Guide to Understanding the National Electrical Code."

What amazes my is how many inspectors and electricians that do not have the correct perspective and knowledge on many issues.

If you're looking for the NEC (a code book) then consider an app or digital version that allows you to "search" it. Otherwise you're just wasting your time. If you're looking for how-to, guidance, etc you need a book tailored to that. The NEC will bore you to death and it is primarily used as a reference to look up a certain portion. It isn't reading material.

What amazes my is how many inspectors and electricians that do not have the correct perspective and knowledge on many issues.

And what is even more interesting is that they are STILL "correct" in their wrong interpretation.......... since they represent the "AHJ". (of course they can be over-ruled by the city)

I have done a lot of electrical work for the last 35 years, worked for an electrical contractor for 5 years, etc. What I do now is for my own properties (shop,rental) where I live we don't have an electrical inspector. I have and use a NEC 2005 Handbook. I would not buy the latest. I have to say some of the recent changes it seems to me like whoever makes up the decisions has run out of sensible changes. The one where now the put the receptacles in upside down (ground up) is a case where someone has too much time on their hands.

I've been doing that wherever not forbidden, for decades. THAT one makes sense.

Most folks don't even know the reason behind it and until you explain it to them they think it's stupid. I don't understand why so many people care; they are either very resistant to change (even if it's good change) or they just really like the "smiley face" shape they make when installed ground-down.

Most folks don't even know the reason behind it and until you explain it to them they think it's stupid. I don't understand why so many people care; they are either very resistant to change (even if it's good change) or they just really like the "smiley face" shape they make when installed ground-down.

Sorry but I do know the reason behind it and it is stupid! Clear case of too much time on someone's hands to think of stupid ideas!

Perhaps you do not.......

As far as I am concerned, it's a great idea. Anything that falls onto it (if it is not fully plugged-in) is likely to only contact the grounded pin. With rod stock, ans ESPECIALLY sheet metal in the shop, I want them ALL done like that!

You want stupid, I got stupid..... switches that are "on" when flipped DOWN. At least if they are "up for on", you have a reasonable chance to slap them to "off" as you fall over, or are getting pulled-in.

Back