What's new
What's new

Need help w/ 3ph in home shop! Hyundai HiT18s

Joesnow

Plastic
....So, I opened a business a year ago with my best friend of 12 years. It immediately took off, and we struggled to keep up ever since. We were about a month behind on manufacturing, both taking turns working 10 hour shifts, 6 days a week, on one manual lathe.

Then he committed suicide a few weeks ago.

Im desperate. Ive worked way too hard to let this business fail, but there's obviously no way I can continue to sustain with my current set up running the show on my own.

So i bought a Hyundai Hi-T18s. Full disclosure; it was a complete impulse buy. I didn't have time to do my homework before spending thousands of dollars, which made me pretty uncomfortable, but i didn't have much of a choice. I couldnt afford to pass up the deal. This was pretty much the only shot I had at staying in business, my 'hail mary' if you will.

Now i have a 10,000 lb, 20hp, 44kva, 3 phase powered machine in my residential 2 car garage. Im looking into VFD's for power. I dont know the first thing about CNC machines' power requirements, 3 phase electrical, etc. The most I've ever dealt with was installing a sub panel and a 220v single phase outlet for my 12x36 lathe.

Someone, please give me a rundown of what they would do next. Between the 14 hour shifts im working, and being overwhelmingly depressed about losing my partner & best friend, I'm starting to feel like i just cant wrap my head around any of this!

Im in way over my head! Please go easy on me, I know I should have thought this through!

Thanks everyone.

Do you have any way to move operations to a commercial space with 3 phase?

Or a commercial space with lots of single phase power?

I ask, because you may simply not have a good way to power that where you are, without a lot of work that may put you way behind, or a considerable amount of $$. And that is if you have the basic power off the pole for it. The full 44 kVA (which you may not need to use) is 200A service from the pole, not just what is marked on your breaker box. There would need to be a bigger than usual pole transformer.

I do not know what sort of area you are located in, so your options may be limited.

You may actually be better off as far as power, because if you were producing on a 12 x 36, you probably would not be using the full 44 kVA by any stretch of the imagination. So you may have enough power with only 15 kVA or whatever your local transformer has (and the neighbors are not using).

If you have the single phase power you need, the best, easiest, and most stable 3 phase converter is a Phase Perfect. It costs more than the other options, but it just sits there and works.

They are available used, for less than new. But we have been told on the forum that the company cannot repair the old blue enclosure units anymore, due to parts shortage, so you would want to stay away from those.,

Sounds like you can justify the expense since you are getting the sales.

Get yourself a totally enclosed silent three phase generator running off red diesel. They now come very quiet, designed for hospitals and residential homes. I was next to one recently where you could barely hear it running.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I have no experience with generating 3 phase and I'm trying to cross that road myself.

But as far as having enough juice in your residential service you may want to check with your local utility about a upgrade before jumping into a genset. My utility will upgrade my 200A residential service to a 600A with a larger transformer on the pole at not cost to me.

Back