What's new
What's new

Need help on wiring a Delta/Rockwell 10" Lathe

jtwade

Plastic
Hello,
A while back I acquired a Delta/Rockwell 10" lathe that was originally wired for 3 phase power. The person I got it from had started to convert it to single phase 220. Well, all he did was to replace the three phase motor with a 3/4 1750 rpm motor. The controls were not changed at all, and all that was done in the control box was the leads from the motor were ran from the motor into the control box.
Does anyone here have an idea on what is needed to do next to complete this change? I have almost no electrical knowledge besides it hurts when you get shocked, LOL.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Wow, not much to go on there.

Does this lathe have a reverse function, and if so, does it appear to be a mechanical switch like a drum switch? A picture of the control panel or electrical schematic would be very helpful. My lathe instead had a three phase reversing contactor controlled by relays actuated by switches activated by an apron mounted forward and reverse controls. I'm not familiar with South Bend lathes specifically, and the design may well differ depending upon the age. There is also a South Bend specific forum, and identifying your specific model would certainly be beneficial.

Last edited:
The key elements would be

1) getting the voltages right for motors and controls

2) using the correct two wires, so that the controls still get power

3) Making sure any motor protectors have the overloads changed to trip at the currents the new motor will pull. The old motor probably pulled a different amount of current, so overload heaters etc will be different

Wow, not much to go on there.

Does this lathe have a reverse function, and if so, does it appear to be a mechanical switch like a drum switch? A picture of the control panel or electrical schematic would be very helpful. My lathe instead had a three phase reversing contactor controlled by relays actuated by switches activated by an apron mounted forward and reverse controls. I'm not familiar with South Bend lathes specifically, and the design may well differ depending upon the age. There is also a South Bend specific forum, and identifying your specific model would certainly be beneficial.
Hehehehe. I believe the op spelled out it was a 10" Delta/Rockwell that they were looking for info on, not a Southbend.
Having just aquire a Delta 11" lathe, I can say my lathe has a separate starter circuit for forward and reverse. It is a three phase motor and wired as such. This panel is in addition to the normal Forward/Reverse/Off switch. Not sure if this helps. I will be digging into alternative wiring methods myself.

20170831_093743.jpg

Hi
I should have all of the factory wiring diagrams for this lathe if you need them. It might take me a few days to find them.
Let me know
Andy

Hi
I should have all of the factory wiring diagrams for this lathe if you need them. It might take me a few days to find them.
Let me know
Andy
That would be great if you could post it. Not sure what direction i will be going in, but original schematic would definitely help sort it.

That would be great if you could post it. Not sure what direction i will be going in, but original schematic would definitely help sort it.
If the motor was 3ph the easiest way to convert and would add to functionality would be a vfd. I originally was looking at keeping the original wiring in tact, but unfortunately I needed the option of 1ph 115v and decided to go with a vfd. Very easy really. Motor should have a wiring diagram on it and vfd come with schematics. Can even wire in the original forward/reverse/stop button.

Back