What's new
What's new

Need help wiring the idler motor on my kit/home built RPC

justin caise

Plastic
Almost there...
I bought a kit a long time ago from WYNsupply and just finishing the build and wiring. Obviously, I'll have 4 wires coming to the 10 HP idler motor from the converter box, and 4 wires from the idler motor to my machines. (3 wires and a ground wire.)

Is there a specific way these wires need to be? What I mean is does each wire (black, white, red) need to be connected to a specific wire in the motor or can they be randomly selected?

If black wire is from L1 does it need to go to a specific lead or terminal with regard to the way the motor is configured?

I've attached a picture of my motor wiring... Well, I hope I have.

IMG_2:LOL:813_193917188.jpg - Google Drive

Thanks.

No. But the motor configuration - currently for low volts - must not change

Any L wire can to go to any of those three bundles with GRAY wire nuts. Changing any TWO as far as position of the L wires will reverse idler motor - and all machines fed by it

The yellow wire nut should have T4, T5 and T6

It causes less mystery if the GENERATED / MANUFACTURED leg of the idler is NOT used for feeding magnetic starter coils, etc

Excellent information Johnoder.

It reminds me, actually, of when I would see electricians in industry check the rotation of a pump motor and change two wires if its running backwards.
But those motors were at the "end of run" so it is a little different.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by T4, T5, and T6.

Thanks, JC

Seems to be a nine wire motor. All the wires coming out of the motor will be - or at one time were - marked with their "T" number

A very common low voltage "lash-up" for such a motor is:

L1 to T1 and T7
L2 to T2 and T8
L3 to T3 and T9
T4, T5 and T6 together, but hooked to nothing else

L wires are the three feeding the motor. "L" is for "LINE"

It is to be understood that the motor's use as an idler eliminates one "L" wire since it is being fed with the two "hot" wires of single phase.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by T4, T5, and T6.

Thanks, JC

Last edited:
I've just gotta say thank you.

I finally got around to setting this up. (Life slows us down sometimes ya know.)
And it works!
Haven't made any chips yet but I'm sure a rotary phase converter was the proper choice. And now I can help other people as well.

Back