What's new
What's new

Need help wiring single phase lathe

MotoX

Cast Iron
Sorry for the homeshop bs, but i suck with single phase motors. Long story short, I bought a bigger lathe (than my current one) for next to nothing to use at home.

Nameplate on the motor requires 29amps and 120, 14 for 240. I don't have enough amps I'm my garage wiring for a wall plug but I do have a 30 amp 240 outlet.

The lathe being 120v, it needs converted. I'm running into an issue with the capacitors. They are only rated for 125v

So do I need to go get 250v capcitors?

Also I'm a little unsure as to proper wiring change, looks to me I just need to disconnect the wire and capacitor from the #2 terminals.

Sorry for the sideways photos, I'm on my phone, and it won't let me rotate them.

20170930_123646.jpg20170930_123537.jpg20170930_131438.jpg20170930_122229.jpg20170930_122750.jpg

In most cases motors like this use 120 volt rated capacitors for both voltage ranges. The trick is the
start capacitors tie to the center point of the series-connected run windings. This way there's never a full
240 volts across the capacitor.

An illustration of the application:

wire.jpg

Back of the envelope sketch...

Caps should stay the same, no changes in wiring or voltage rating.

However, motor tag calls for 800uF (400uF x 2)
Picture shows (300uF x 2) 600uF total

The motor was probably made for 50Hz, but caps size reduced for 60Hz
If it starts fine with 600uF, no need to upgrade cap rating.

I believe the sketch is correct, but can't be sure without seeing the connections to the switch and motor terminations.

I'm not sure about the contacts shown between the drum switch and the motor, on the supplied drum switch drawing
They appear to be in the start winding circuit. Is there another switch or contactor besides a drum switch? Whatever it is, it needs to be closed in order for the motor to start.
Chicom2.jpg

Chicom1.jpg
SAF Ω

Sorry for the late reply,

Thanks everyone for your help! After some frustration, and with SAF's sketch, i finally got her running both directions.

It took awhile for me to determine that i wasn't doing anything wrong, I had just accidentally melted two contacts together in the

switch in my trial and error stage.

After i put in a new switch it was simple.

Thanks again, now maybe i can make some money with it.

Back