What's new
What's new

In need of Huanyang VFD expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

flylo31

Aluminum
I have a GT series, 7.5kw vfd. I am trying to use the internal PLC for multi step speed control. It is running a 10hp screw compressor and I want it to start at 100% to pump up the system and then drop off to 60%. I have the following parameters set:

P0.07 5
PA.00 1
PA.01 0
PA.02 100
PA.03 300
PA.04 60
PA.05 60
PA.37 0

I thought it should run at 100% for 5 minutes and the drop to 60% and stay at that setting until a stop command is entered. However, it starts at 100% and stays there. Never taking the next step. Excuse my ignorance, but what did I screw up???:cryin:

Excuse my ignorance, but what did I screw up???:cryin:

Easy one.

The brand on the purchase document is all.

Replace the Huanyang with a gadget called a "VFD" from a major maker of quality and start over.

Now. Or later. Same outcome, eventually. Count on that.

In need of Huanyang VFD expert
Do you speak Chinese? Even that may not help, they basically copied someone else' drive... poorly I might add.

You get what you pay for. There is a REASON they are so much cheaper than others... ZERO support costs.

Do you speak Chinese? Even that may not help,
No, it will NOT help! Too many middlemen. "Traders". Clerks, not Engineers.

.. ZERO support costs.

NEGATIVE support costs, actually.

I had "enough" China-Fu to get the best manual out there. And had to pay a premium, accordingly.

They probably cleared more profit on the decent translations and a nice printing job than on the alleged VFD. Which was still a piece of shit, anyway, nice documents or no.

No electrical terminals on the damned BOOK, after all! Though it just might have had a more reliable current-carrying capacity than some of their sorry-ass PCB traces..

Major-maker VFD manuals, by contrast, one just downloads. For free. Most are actually a full education, they are that good. Did I say it? "For free!"

Page Two:

MAJOR makers have enough volume the price-spread between at least "decent" and Huanyang NO LONGER justifies the dice-roll, even if it EVER did.

Professional or hobbyist, everyone's time is worth SOMETHING.

Well that was of no help at all.... I was not looking for a review of the drive.... There are a lot of Chinese crap out there with USA brand names on them and still little or no US

support, just in case you didn't already know... I was hoping for someone else with the same drive, as there are probably millions of them under various brands, but if it's just going to

be a bashing of useless information, just go onto the next post!!!!! PLEASE

Well that was of no help at all.... I was not looking for a review of the drive.... There are a lot of Chinese crap out there with USA brand names on them and still little or no US

support, just in case you didn't already know... I was hoping for someone else with the same drive, as there are probably millions of them under various brands, but if it's just going to

be a bashing of useless information, just go onto the next post!!!!! PLEASE

Go over to the hobby venues, you can even find folks who have gotten into the insides of Huanyang drives and altered or repaired them. Seriously. Could serve your need. And more.

There just aren't many of them HERE. The few who DO use Huanyang recognize them as light-duty, disposable for non-critical use. At best.

Others still have to earn a crust, need more reliable power. It's about an essential machine-tool going offline, not the few bucks saved on the drive.

I took mine apart before ever connecting it or powering it up with preventive upgrade and reinforcement in mind at the outset. Higher spec caps from a trusted maker specifically, given 1-Phase input use was the need.

Saw what I saw inside. Knew very, very, well what it meant.

LEFT it apart and moved-on.

I like to think my time is still worth at least the 88 cents an hour I entered the trade with, closing in on 60 years ago.

YMMV

OK.

I have made these units forbidden, like Jet and Grizzly.

Since that was not the case when you posted, I'll answer. This thread will not be closed, (it's the last one) so you can respond in it.

It looks to me as if the PA 01 parameter might need to be 1 and not 0. All I can get from the chinglish is that if set to 0, it does not remember the program through a power-off.

Other than that, it seems as if what you reported may be correct. I have no idea whether there is another setting that is required, but you may need to look at the P5 group, because there is reference to them as well. I did not look in detail.

Also, you may need to check the settings for max and min speed, etc. If they do not allow the settings you made under the multi-speed control, then you may not be able to get the multi-speed to do what you need.

I am amazed at the arrogance of this conversation!!!! This VFD is running an American made Sullivan Palatek screw compressor for my shop. The Huanyang has been a topic of 94 original treads in Practical Machinist.... Just a little over 3 months ago, my American made DPC20 Phase Perfect took a dump and Phase Perfect no longer supports it. They do offer $500 off of a brand new $6000 converter for my troubles.
I think you guys should rethink your narrow minded B.S.
Look around this industry and the world for that matter and get a grip on reality......

I am amazed at the arrogance of this conversation!!!!

You've left precious little room for a response in kind. Or of any kind - even to the insulting rejection of an offer of rather expert help you would be very hard-pressed to hire.

If nothing else, EXACTLY as with hobby-grade machine-tool-shaped objects, the discussions are "polarizing" and incite more heat than light.

Jerry?

"Delete" rather than "lock" might be in order?

I am amazed at the arrogance of this conversation!!!! This VFD is running an American made Sullivan Palatek screw compressor for my shop. The Huanyang has been a topic of 94 original treads in Practical Machinist.... Just a little over 3 months ago, my American made DPC20 Phase Perfect took a dump and Phase Perfect no longer supports it. They do offer $500 off of a brand new $6000 converter for my troubles.
Look around this industry and the world for that matter and get a grip on reality......

A lot of us have looked around and been through some of what you are asking. The issue is not the origin of manufacture (China) but the fact that it is produced by a very poor copy cat company that does zero engineering and support.

The answers here are a result of us knowing when a product is truly a waste of time and that is why you got the answers you did. There are plenty of excellent VFDs made in China, just not by Huanyang.

I think what you perceive as arrogance is the fact that those who have tried to work through similar problems with Huanyang VFDs have earned the right to feel they way they do. Take their remarks as a warning for where you will end up at.

Thank you Ziggy2 for your response. I agree with you and understand your statement. The PM forum has been an amazing source of knowledge in the past for me and many others. I just have been witness to these personal insulting attacks too many time by certain members and it set me off. Information can be presented in many forms and I think there is a right way and a counterproductive way of approaching any subject.
That all I wanted to say.

My good man.....

1) I actually took the trouble to look up he manual for that series, and tried to disentangle the chinglish....to solve YOUR problem. Apparently you don't give a rat's ass about that.

2) As one who has designed a number of VFDs and related devices, i have some familiarity with good design practices, and practices that will allow a VFD to met UL requirements as it is supposed to. The Huanyang devices I have seen the insides of were made more in the style of a 1970's Pioneer home stereo than industrial equipment, only not as carefully. They would not pass UL tests.

3) Some unscrupulous folks are selling special-purpose HY VFDs as general purpose units....and catching the unwary who are trying to save a few bucks. At least two of them have popped up here recently, and there was nothing we could suggest, the required settings were just not there. The unfortunate owners are not saving much on those.

If the company survives, they will probably improve. They need to.

Meanwhile, they stay forbidden, because this site is for professionals and discussions of professional grade machinery. That's how the site owner wants it, so that's how we do it.

I said I would not close this thread, and I stand by that. But you are not making it easy to do that. Chill out.

If you still want help, all you have to do is behave like a human.......

Hi JST,
Are there "cheaper" VFD's you can recommend? Brands, or classifications that would be of most use for PM'ers? Do we have a VFD sticky anywhere?

The majors take certain "positions".. from which they then price-raid each other periodically in search of greater market-share.

Prices can change by the HOUR as far as tight-budget bargain-seeking, as last-year's models go to "closeout" and new ones come in.

When in need - or simply wanting to get the best deal for a "soon now" project, best to "haunt" the major distributors.

I personally start with Galco. Wolf Automation, Drives Direct, Drives Warehouse etc follow.

Over time, we each pick different "favorites" as to brand and line.

Usually because we have had good experience. Sometimes because it is HOPED to be less hassle programming 2 or 4 in the same "family" than 3 or 4 every one of different make.

Hopefully, none of THAT part is "news".

What Jraef has pointed out several times is that the makers are constantly making changes. Some to reduce service costs by bumping up reliability. Some to reduce build costs PERIOD. Why would a VFD maker be any different on those economics from any other maker of goods in general?

So.. your "old favorite" or the whole PM community's most admired of VFD, may no longer be the same today as last year. Or even last month.

"Current" research, by specific power and application, is wise when looking for current bargains. They change places too often to NOT double-check.

A bit of research to build a "shortlist" helps. Pick the three best suited, THEN cruise for a price break, hold tight to ignoring those that did not make the list. If you didn't put them ON the shortlist, why do it now?

That won't be new information, either.

Most of what we buy has to have that extra effort these fast-changing days.

Brand ownership, build quality, and where the factory sits can change faster than we know.

..... The Huanyang devices I have seen the insides of were made more in the style of a 1970's Pioneer home stereo than industrial equipment, only not as carefully. They would not pass UL tests.

No doubt about that, yet are you maybe being elitist since you know this stuff well?
Yes my SX-780 and 1080 went into a dumpster many decades ago as they where... well, I know you know.
I have a handful of poopy "H" drives, fully expected them to last only weeks or months and go up in smoke, yet they continue to run. Screw the UL ratings, design you control systems to protect and never rely on the other guy.

Not remotely in the ballpark of my Control Techniques/Emerson stuff but since I use the unmentionable on little stuff I'm not a professional?

I do see not wanting to invite in the "hobby" group and the very low level discussions that follow with these drives so I get that.
Just not sure it should be outright banned by the brand name. Some of us can make this "junk" kick out $150 per hour.

I know you are very skilled in this. Perhaps, maybe, kind of, sort of, judging too much by your own standards of excellence?

I poke you here to... well to just make sure we are all thinking outside our box about these low-buck things.
How many have you actually put into a production environment?
I ship parts, I do not get paid if my controls are nice, get money from what I invoice. Do what it takes to put these in a UPS box.
Bob

No doubt about that, yet are you maybe being elitist since you know this stuff well?
Yes my SX-780 and 1080 went into a dumpster many decades ago as they where... well, I know you know.
I have a handful of poopy "H" drives, fully expected them to last only weeks or months and go up in smoke, yet they continue to run. Screw the UL ratings, design you control systems to protect and never rely on the other guy.

Not remotely in the ballpark of my Control Techniques/Emerson stuff but since I use the unmentionable on little stuff I'm not a professional?

I do see not wanting to invite in the "hobby" group and the very low level discussions that follow with these drives so I get that.
Just not sure it should be outright banned by the brand name. Some of us can make this "junk" kick out $150 per hour.

I know you are very skilled in this. Perhaps, maybe, kind of, sort of, judging too much by your own standards of excellence?

I poke you here to... well to just make sure we are all thinking outside our box about these low-buck things.
How many have you actually put into a production environment?
I ship parts, I do not get paid if my controls are nice, get money from what I invoice. Do what it takes to put these in a UPS box.
Bob

Thank you Bob for illustrating my point exactly. I bought this AKA POS VFD to experiment with the control of my screw compressor (not Harbor Freight) to find a happy balance between CFM out and demand. If I had positive results, I would have no problem spending $$$$ on a better VFD, but nobody asked. Jerry I am chilled out, but I would like you to reread the first three responses to my post and understand that in a public forum the written word and interpretation of the same can have very different meanings. I politely asked for them to move on. Just jumping on the band wagon by using my post to create another forbidden topic just set me off and for that I apologize.
I think we can all move on unless somebody might know which one of the 50+ parameters is causing my problem.
Thank you.

I personally don't have an issue with them.

The site has some rules, and they exclude usable machines that many do use in commercial shops. That may or may not be arrogant, but it is the way it is.

This is no different, except that the HY have more problems than some of the forbidden-by-brand machines do. And, just like the forbidden machines, they are commonly bought by price-conscious hobbyists, rather than commercial enterprises with a job to do.

Fits the bill, as I see it.

DONE.

You'll get no sympathy from me. Back when I was on The Home Shop Machinist site, you often made fun of Chinese lathes. Now you get upset when no one wants to get involved with a Chinese VFD that's a known POS. Karma is a bitch.

:D

If you are referring to me (FLYLO31) you are mistaken.... I have never been on that site..... Get your facts straight and let it go.... Time to move on again.....:rolleyes5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back