What's new
What's new

Need a little help wiring Niagara Shear from high voltage to low

joebass

Aluminum
I just bought a 6 foot 10 ga Niagara Shear with a 5hp motor. We have 3 phase 240v with a wild leg.
The shear is currently wired 480v. Besides changing the motor to 240v, changing the heaters what else do I need to do? I know to keep the high leg off the transformer. Will a 20 amp breaker and 12 wire be OK? The motor tag says is 13.6 amps at 220V.

Check the starter coil VOLTAGE. It could be 460, 230, or 115 or thereabouts. If it is 230 or 115, you have a control transformer and you may be able to reconnect it to give the right VOLTAGE to the coil. You primary VOLTAGE will now be 230 instead of 460.
If the coil is 460, you will need a new coil, or a new starter, or use a control transformer to step up the 230 to 460.
Bruce

The coil on the starter is for 110v.I can change the input voltage on the transformer from 440v to 220v.
Seems like I had it figured out just want to double check before I start it. I have a week or so before I'll do that.

Thanks for the help. One more thing, what happens if I wire the motor backwards and it spins in reverse? This is a mechanical shear.

Just bump the motor enough to check rotation and stop it immediately. If yo think there is a y chance the shear could be damaged, disconnect the motor from the shear before bumping the motor. If the motor spins the wrong direction, just interchange any two of the three wires on the load side of the starter. Reconnect the motor once you are sure it is turning in the correct direction.
Bruce

Back