What's new
What's new

Need some assistace with Phase Converter sizing

BIGSKYBOB

Plastic
Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing a Kitamura Mycenter 5 CNC machining center, this beast is much more than I need but the situation makes this a super buy and one I don't want to miss out on, anyway the spindle motor is 25 HP AC 3 phase and of course I only have 1 phase power. Can I run this off a Phase Converter? What size converter motor?
Thanks for any help on this.
Bob V.

First you need to find the total connected load which should be on a "tag", "label", or "nameplate" attached to the main power cabinet close to the disconnect. It will be stated in KVA or maximum amps or something like that.
Then you can figure out how best, economically and engineering-wise, to provide some THREE phase power to the machine.

Check with Phase Perfect. Give them the numbers ^ from the machine and ask their advise. Keeping cnc controls happy with rotary phase converters can be done, but you need some electrical expertise to do it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I remember seeing 45 KVA on a tag somewhere, but I'll call Phase Perfect for sure. I was reading that CNC can be a problem with a phase converter.
Thanks again, Bob V.

Back