What's new
What's new

Need wiring help with Trane HVAC air handler motor

SteveF

Titanium
OK, for the right person this is a pretty simple question.

I have a Trane 4TEC3F36S1000AA 240v air handler motor. Not sure how to hook it up directly to power.

From the quick connect the black wire runs next to the General Purpose Relay ( DPDT PILOT 3amp, POWER 12 amp) into the rear whitish crimp connector, then up into the capacitor, then the yellow and black into the motor.

From the quick connect, the red wire runs to the upper left corner of the GP Relay, then a small red wire comes off the lower left corner of the GP Relay into the front whitish crimp connector, then to the big red wire with the terminal connector that is no longer connected but fits onto the plastic block on the motor that is marked A-B-C.

The way I think I read the wiring diagram is that black feeds directly from power into the capacitor and then black and yellow to the motor. Red feeds directly from power and connected to A for Low Speed, B for Medium and C for High Speed. Don’t see a place that a white wire gets hooked up for neutral.

If that is correct, this would mean I don’t need the General Purpose Relay (I assume one of the input wires is from the controller) and don’t need the Transformer ( 40va, 200/230v pri, 24v sec) which I’ll guess was used to power the condensate pump.

What say ye gurus of these things?

Thanks.
Steve
hvac1.jpg hvac4.jpg hvac5.jpg hvac6.jpg

Looks like I had it correct.

Hooked up the black to 120v black, the red to 120v red and to the A connector, green to ground and it works. Moved the red to the B connector and it spins faster.

Plus I've got a 240v to 24v transformer and a relay for something else.

Steve

I have that same setup on my HVAC system and installed a three position ON-ON-ON switch and wired it up to allow the ability to try different fan speeds during different seasons. The AC in the summer is best with a high speed while the heat pump in the winter with a tighter house all closed up works better at the low speed.

Back