What's new
What's new

New VFD, extreme vibration at intermediate frequencies!?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Testing the Teco L510 and this motor (also in thread below)

https://www.regalbeloit.com/Products/Catalog?model=056H17E5305

I know zip about VFD's...and am puzzled by what's going on.
On initial testing, motor would vibrate horrendously as it approached 20hz and the VFD would shut down from overcurrent error after about ten seconds. Somehow I decided to ramp up quickly to 60hz, and after getting past 50 hz or so, purred like a kitten up to 60 hz (did not overspeed test beyond 60 hz.).

What would cause the motor to run smoothly up to 20 hz., shake off the bench between 20-50 hz., and then run so smoothly at 50-60 hz. I didn't think it was even running?

Any ideas/suggestions on a parameter that I need to set?

Regal Beloit | Marathon Motors | 56H17E535 | Y64

On initial testing, motor would vibrate horrendously as it approached 20hz and the VFD would shut down from overcurrent error after about ten seconds. Somehow I decided to ramp up quickly to 60hz, and after getting past 50 hz or so, purred like a kitten up to 60 hz (did not overspeed test beyond 60 hz.).

What would cause the motor to run smoothly up to 20 hz., shake off the bench between 20-50 hz., and then run so smoothly at 50-60 hz. I didn't think it was even running?

Not sure of what parameter to set, but in my case this exact problem was resolved by convincing the Hitachi VFD to auto-tune for
the motor in question. Does the TECO have that option?

So you are on the right track anyway, tuning properly will resolve your issue. I will look to see what the Hitachi does when it
autotunes.

Regal Beloit | Marathon Motors | 56H17E535 | Y64

Did you set the peramiters or just wire it up and turn it on? The teco drives are not plug and play!

VFD questions
tobnpr said:
01-20-2018 10:54 PM
Thanks.
Did a Google search for "Teco L510 Autotune Motor" and found a different manual online that's 152 pages and lists every parameter, EXPLAINS THEM, along with suggested settings- including auto tune.
The manual that came with the drive only listed the parameters and available settings with NO explanation as to what they meant for us laypersons.

Yes, I did set a few of the main parameters for the test but only the primary ones that I clearly understood. Going to attack it tomorrow with the more inclusive manual including the autotune function.

Issues resolved with the information in the online manual.
Will admit I'm a bit surprised with the noise, but I'll assume that's normal.

Motor has two leads for thermal protection, I think there's a way to program a couple of low voltage terminals as a relay; if I can figure it out I'll connect them as well when I wire up the drum switch to control rev/stop/fwd.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Issues resolved with the information in the online manual.

Motor has two leads for thermal protection, I think there's a way to program a couple of low voltage terminals as a relay; if I can figure it out I'll connect them as well when I wire up the drum switch to control rev/stop/fwd.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Did the auto-tune do the job, or something more elaborate required? I do seem to recall that the paper manual for the TECOs was pretty poor, they left out a bunch of stuff
that was on the cdrom

You may be able to change the switching frequency in the range 8,12,16 kHz or similar. This can often make a big difference to the noise from the motor, A sinewave filter after the VFD is even nicer, but rarely neccessary.

Back