What's new
What's new

Newbie questions

motryguy

Plastic
So I’m new. I just bought and old 3phase jointer and it’s 3 phase. I won’t use it that often so I don’t really need auto start converter options. I think the simple 110 motor to get a 3 phase idler motor going is the simplest and best for me right now.
The guy I bought it from has a 3 ph 10 horsepower motor. I think by reading the tag it can be wired 230 or 460 but I don’t know what much of the label means. If someone could explain some of it that would be great.
I can post the jointer motor tag if I need to

My main questions:
1. Can this motor be wired 230v?
2. Is it ok and can this 10hp motor safely power my jointer?
3. Any minimum quidelines on specs for the starter 110v motor I would need
4. Would this 10hp motor be turned on and off with a breaker and if so what amps?
5. Am I right that this motor once running could potentially power multiple other motors at once?
6. He wants $100 for the motor. Offer him $50 or is $100 a great deal or something

Thanks. Philip

Attachments

• D3D7C5F2-1706-4A4F-8751-A23FF387B138.jpg
    D3D7C5F2-1706-4A4F-8751-A23FF387B138.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 55
The motor shows a 230 capability, yes it can be wired that way if it has not been rewound or modified. It should have 9 wires in the wiring box if it is rewirable.

If your jointer is no more than 5 HP or possibly 7.5 HP, the 10 HP can function as an idler. It is a 3500rpm motor, and will make more noise. Not as much as a jointer, though....

The idler motor is rated at 25.8A at 230V, so it will draw around 10 or 12A idling, and more when supplying the 3rd phase. The breaker can be rated up to 30A or so.

No opinion on the starting motor, I have not done that method. Commonly it is much smaller, and needs to spin up the 10 HP to at least half rpm, if not full speed.

The idler would be turned on and off with a "contactor", nit the breaker, and should have an overload protector. A "motor starter" provides both.

The idler can provide the 3rd phase to a number of other motors, up to probably 25 HP total, as long as the largest is no more than 7.5 HP.

here is the pic of the plate, reoriented and expanded

Any thoughts on “eye” vs “delta” motors. Any concerns to have about either one. Pros and cons?

Can this motor be wired 230v?

As noted above, usually nine wires in connection box on motor

Each one will have identification - often a metal tag

All nine are known as "T" wires - for transformer maybe:)

For low voltage operation, these are often hooked up this way - and such info is often part of data on motor itself

One of the line wires bringing 230 to motor will hook to both T1 and T7
Another of the line wires bringing 230 to motor will be hooked to both T2 and T8
The last of the line wires bring 230 to the motor gets hooked to both T3 and T9

Then you have three T wires left over - T4, T5 and T6. Hook these together but to nothing else

Does the motor label indicate wye vs delta? I’m sure YouTube shows how to test each one with a voltmeter to find out right?

Thanks so much for the replies!!

Back