What's new
What's new

Wiring Question - CH 3 pole twin break starter

Nightshift

Aluminum
Need a bit of help from the electrical guru's here. I bought a nice old WellSaw model 600 horizontal bandsaw that was used in a 550v 3 phase environment. I've replaced the motor with a 1 phase 3/4hp unit and now need to deal with the motor starter. It's a Cutler-Hammer twin break, size 0, 3 pole switch and if possible, I'd like to wire it up so it works with either 220v or 110v single phase. The reason I'd like to use this original motor starter is because the saws auto-shut-off lever hits the Stop button when the cut is finished.

Attachments

• Wellsaw 600 005s.jpg
    Wellsaw 600 005s.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 487
  • Wellsaw 600 007s.jpg
    Wellsaw 600 007s.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Wellsaw 600 008s.jpg
    Wellsaw 600 008s.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 637
What you may be able to do as a long shot, measure the resistance of the coil, if high enough, use a bridge rectifier off 120vac and feed the coil circuit with this.
If the resistance is a suitable value, you will not harm anything and all it will cost is a few $ for the bridge.
The construction of AC coils more favourable in DC circuits than the reverse.
Minder.

can you read what the coil voltage is? If not I think a new coil would not cost much more than $30, but I have not bought them in a while. The coil is fairly easy to change, good luck.

The coil voltage is 550.

A replacement coil may be available, and that would be my first choice.

Contact Brazil Electric in Portland, OR. They may have a suitable replacement.

My second choice would be to retain the 550 volt coil, but to transform the incoming line to 550.

This approach would retain the 550 volt "three wire control station", but would operate from your line.

Finding a 120/240:550 control transformer could be difficult, but 120/240:600 or 240/480:600 might be easier.

Thanks for your help on this guys. After seeing I needed to do more work with this starter than I wanted, I went rumaging thru my cupboards and found another smaller size 1 SquareD starter that will work with 110 or 220v. And it already had the proper size heater for my motor as a bonus!

So I spend the last couple hours mounting it and making the necessary mods to the brackets and levers to make the auto-shutoff work. Bill

Attachments

• Wellsaw Auto-shutoff Control.jpg
    Wellsaw Auto-shutoff Control.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 147

Back