What's new
What's new

OK to run a vfd through a disabled switch?

ronlyke

Cast Iron
I've read that it's not good to have a switch between a vfd and the motor. I have a new-to-me Bridgeport J model with a simple forward-off-reverse switch. If I just leave the switch always in the forward position and control everything from the vfd, doesn't the switch then become a benign junction box?

Thanks

It is a really bad idea to open the output of a VFD with power on. Most VFD manufacturers warn you about doing that in their documentation. So, it is safer to put the VFD between the power switch and motor. Although I have no idea how you could do that and still support the two speed motor and reversal. Perhaps others could chime in who have done this.

I've read that it's not good to have a switch between a vfd and the motor. I have a new-to-me Bridgeport J model with a simple forward-off-reverse switch. If I just leave the switch always in the forward position and control everything from the vfd, doesn't the switch then become a benign junction box?

Thanks

Not as long as it can still be moved and still has function, it doesn't.

OTOH, why would you not just bypass it and tag it, even if stayed in the box to plug the panel to keep pea-gravel, bird-shit, and dog-hair out? Blanking plate or snap-plug better, box removed outright, better-yet.

Up to me, would not (and have not, so far) use ANY of the old wire or even its routing conduit.

New, clean, known condition, conduit as well as wire and controls, known not involved at all with anything "legacy", and - BTW notes made as to how it was run. Need to do all this exactly ONCE, after all.

Next repair tech to have to deal with it thereafter is ME. Cuss myself out enough as it is.

:)

Thanks

Yes. If you want to be belt-and-suspenders, take the handle off the drum switch then.

Back