What's new
What's new

Old Motor Electrical Connections Encased in Oil ?

33oneill

Plastic
I'm not sure where to post this electrical motor question but I will try here first.

I'm putting a new / old electric motor on my lathe. Tonight I was going to wire it up to a VFD but when I opened the electrical connection junction box on the back of the motor a fair amount of oil came out of the junction box.. The connection box cover had a cork gasket that makes me think that the oil was meant to be in there. I can also see the leads coming out of the motor and into the junction box but I don't see any obvious signs of oil coming from the interior itself.

I am hoping that one of you could tell me if that is normal or not and if it is normal should I replace the oil or fill it back up?

c8215c9e-c355-473a-89f0-dba5467c8801_zpsrr6aefhu.jpg

ef537441-a959-4909-9e4d-d96abc6638cd_zpsnhhhjquh.jpg

fdc07280-5218-43b2-8bbe-f1f67b0afbd9_zpscbpecftm.jpg

e54deda1-40c2-489d-a5a0-2b7001471a59_zpsdlvgbu5j.jpg

99.9 percent sure the oil is not supposed to be there. The gasket is to make the junction box weather resistant. I suppose a type of oil could be used to make a connection more waterproof/thermally stable, but that is not a suitable junction box for a submerged connection. Looks like just a normal motor.

True, usually for heat dissipation and to eliminate any air gaps that might fill up with water at pressure. But they are usually fully encased in a metal can with a seal and cap at one end. I have never seen one with the j-box on the side.

Fun fact: if you give your rebuild tech your pressure reg set to plumb into one of those submersible motors to pop the seal, and he forgets to dial it back to 2 or 3 psi, you can empty the entire can in under one second. And your tech will go home completely covered in atomized transformer oil.

99.9 percent sure the oil is not supposed to be there. The gasket is to make the junction box weather resistant. I suppose a type of oil could be used to make a connection more waterproof/thermally stable, but that is not a suitable junction box for a submerged connection. Looks like just a normal motor.

I would hike that up to 100*.

Back