What's new
What's new

Old Vee Arc controller question.

oddball racing

Plastic
I have and old Vee Arc PWM7000 drive for my use. 3-phase in single phase out. These used to be used on many older machine tools in their day. "State of the art in the early eighties" as they say. This thing supposedly works fine but I don't know the value or the connections for the speed control potentiometer. I believe it goes on terminals right beside the output terminals to the motor. Anyone ever work with these old beasts? maybe and old hook-up label or manual perhaps?
Thanks, Mike

Hmmm...

I think you MAY have that backwards... usually it's single-phase in, three phase out... 'cause single-phase motors generally don't work too well that way...

Aha! Lookie here:

http://www.veearcdrives.com/Inv_pages/PWM7000.shtml

Gee... the website makes 'em look like one of those companies that's really not interested in supporting their product beyond fixing it for a grand fee or charging you for support. You could call 'em on the phone to see if they'll give you any assistance.

How big is it? I'll bet you could get a decent, more supported drive for less than they'd be willing to help you out.

Gee... the website makes 'em look like one of those companies that's really not interested in supporting their product beyond fixing it for a grand fee or charging you for support. You could call 'em on the phone to see if they'll give you any assistance.
The company that made VeeArc drives no longer exists, in spite of the name of that website. VeeArc was a brand name of the VFDs made by Furnas Electric. When Siemens bought Furnas in 1989, they specifically did NOT buy the rights to the VeeArc drive product, because it conflicted with existing Siemens drives and they were not interested in what the VeeArc would have added. Siemens stopped production of the VeeArc drives and closed down the factory in 1990. Some of the Furnas employees who were dedicated to the VeeArc project tried to find a buyer, but it never happened because Siemens was not interested in creating another competitor. It appears from that website however that they somehow bought the name and are set up in the VFD repair business. But they are not manufacturing VeeArc drives, so of course they only want to sell you on the repairs; that is all they do.

Hello all,

I know that this is a very old post and I just come across it, but I hope you did call VeeArc regarding the PWM7000. VeeArc was part of Furnas Electric from 1987 until 1996 when Siemens purchased Furnas Electric. We discontinued manufacturing drives in 1996 as Siemens did not need our drive product; but we continued to support the VeeArc product line under Siemens until 2000 as well as began supporting the Siemens line of drives. In 2000 we spun-off from Siemens as an independent company supporting our VeeArc drives along with the Siemens drive products. We continue to support our PWM7000, Super7000 and Micro7000 AC products to this day as well as the VeeArc DC drives (as best we can with the age and obsolescence of the components used in those products), as well as supporting and servicing the Siemens AC and DC drive products and ABB AC and DC drive products. We still have stock of many of the parts and assemblies for the PWM7000, Super7000 and Micro7000 drives as well as manufacture replacement assemblies when required. The VeeArc drives were very reliable and robust products for their day, and there are several facilities that still use them today due to the reliable history of the product and the performance it offered (for it's time). In many cases, the drives can be replaced with newer technology at a much more reasonable price than the older VeeArc drives as technology has advanced a great deal since our days of manufacturing drives. We are here to help, we have manuals and parts for the VeeArc drives and all the original specifications by serial number of the drives. Our repair services are fairly priced for the product being served, and we always do our best to support the product. We do offer guidance and assistance in replacing our drives or other drive manufacture's products as alternatives to repair. Our specialties are with the Siemens and ABB drives primarily for the new products, but have had experience with a wide variety of other manufacture's over the years. We are the same VeeArc company that manufactured the PWM7000, Super7000 and Micro7000 products just relocated to the Chicagoland area and now focused on repair/service and support of variable speed AC and DC motor control. Like many companies, we had to change our focus and direction due to the market and our expertise, but we are still here and doing what we do best today.

Back