What's new
What's new

OT electronics tools.Does anyone still use o - scopes anymore?

Tony Quiring

Titanium
Moderator if this is in wrong place please move it.

We have been in communications for 35 years or so and have too much "stuff" that we have picked up and have a surplus of scopes that we have not used in years.

We have 2 HP 180D with assorted modules including 4 channel.

Looking to trade them off if someone wants them, rascals are somewhat heavy and would like to trade for something like a rotary table or other tools or tool storage or ???

We are assume folks who may want one may have surplus something we could use and it works well to trade.

The HP180D is the side by side version that some prefer and can be rack mounted we think.

We also have an old data logger we were going to make a weather station with but decided other things were more fun so it is available too if someone needed to do that kind of work.

Central ca fresno area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I would consider an oscilloscope to be an essential tool for most electronics projects. Your 180Ds are more collector items than practical scopes these days, but having said that I still have two analog scopes, one of which (HP 1725A built for Amdahl) I have just bought, so old analog scopes definitely still have their uses.

I'm sure you'll find that many here own and use o'scopes. Whether anyone will want to trade anything of value for such old scopes is a different story though. Good luck!

We have 2 HP 180D with assorted modules including 4 channel.

Looking to trade them off if someone wants them, rascals are somewhat heavy and would like to trade for something like a rotary table or other tools or tool storage or ???

Oh goodie, two scopes with 5Mhz bandwidth.

the HP 180's were nice scopes, about 40 years ago. The only thing they'd be good for now would be props for a low budget sci fi movie.

To trade for a decent rotary table? Value is way off, I'm afraid.

the HP 180's were nice scopes, about 40 years ago. The only thing they'd be good for now would be props for a low budget sci fi movie.

Decent rotary table? :D yeah..
Handwheel for unknown chinese rotary table would about on par with these.

But they are so old that they are probably already going up on value. 10 bucks now or 20 bucks after 20 years :P

hell yes we do!

Uhmm. well... surely we do. Dumont -> Eico -> Heathkit -> B&K Dynascan -> HP-when-they-were-still-a-real-company -> Tektronix -> Fluke "Scope METER".. but Tony?

HP 180D? Wind-gust tie-down for a tarp over a bass-boat on the hard, or?

EG: Most of us DO upgrade now and then (Rigol - amazing bang-for-the-buck - my most-recent round..)

:D

Sounds like you've seen some of those old movies where there were panels from scopes inserted in the walls of the "space ship." I recently saw a few minutes of one with Dennis Hopper in it and some kind of green Martian vampire on board. The multitude of scope panels caught my attention and made me rest my thumb for a minute.

The problem is that

1) you need a 100 MHz 'scope , minimum, possibly as low as 60 MHz, for just about anything "digital" or "switching". Just too many things that have fast rising edges.... The 5 MHz might be good for biomedical or some old audio repair. (I once had an HP with super sensitive differential channels, and a 250kHz bandwidth. All tube, and actually was useful. Back then at least.)

2) You also need a LOT more trigger modes than any normal analog 'scope has.

3) For a lot of things, floating channels with 600VAC minimum isolation is basically a required feature. Gate drives anyone? You just do NOT want to float the scope.......

So, bottom line is that you need to find someone who works on old analog type low frequency stuff. For them, it is no issue. Will work fine.

I gave away, locally, a nice 20 MHz dual channel scope in flawless, calibrated condition two years ago. If I had to ship it, doubt if the beneficiary would have thought it was worth shipping cost.

I still own a fast Tektronix analog scope and I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a decent digital model, probably even one with less bandwidth. Triggering options >alone< on DSO's make analog scopes danged near obsolete for just about anything but linear circuits below UHF.

Sounds like you've seen some of those old movies where there were panels from scopes inserted in the walls of the "space ship." I recently saw a few minutes of one with Dennis Hopper in it and some kind of green Martian vampire on board. The multitude of scope panels caught my attention and made me rest my thumb for a minute.

and of course, everybody must wear a silver jump suit.

I actually like those SF from the 50s - very innocent compared to later stuff.
As for those old scopes, given enough time those will be one day a collector's item. I do have a 100MHz Tektronix 2235, but did not use it in years. The Hantek 100MHz PC based USB oscilloscope I have now is certainly not as nice as the Tektronix, but costs about $200.00 and is small, convenient and doing all I need for my (very) occasional now electronics work.

As for those old scopes, given enough time those will be one day a collector's item.

I dunno. How much market is there for old electronic test gear? The new stuff is so much better. My dad is still using a Simpson analog multimeter. It's well made and accurate, but what a clunky tool compared to even the crustiest auto ranging digital meter.

I paid $150 for my Rigol digital. With the automatic button, anyone can get it working quickly. It's only 50MHz, but that's fine for me. I don't mess with tuners or anything.

There’s a guy here, outside Indy, that does that. The studios don’t mind the shipping and crating charges. He embellishes the stuff, and he has a critical mass (10,000 sq ft) of if.

I dunno. How much market is there for old electronic test gear? The new stuff is so much better. My dad is still using a Simpson analog multimeter. It's well made and accurate, but what a clunky tool compared to even the crustiest auto ranging digital meter.

Ah, but there are things that old Simpson will do that NO digital meter will. You need BOTH, and you need to know when to use which.

It is similar with 'scopes... analog scopes have a place, but ancient low bandwidth ones have hardly any place.....

Where do you get 5mHz from?

Those old all tube things are not worth the trouble to mess with and went into the trash 20 years ago.

Just went out and looked at the 4 channel module and it is a 1834A 4 channel 200 mhz unit with a 1820 time base.

These are not the old clunkers but good ones for their day.

We have storage scope so no need for this.

We got these in the bay area maybe 20 years ago when we did more component level stuff at home and just do not need it and want to get it out of the way.

One of the 2 frames has a ghz capable spectrum analyzer in it so we will keep that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

My electronic bench has a Simpson 303 and a Fluke 45 digital meter and I use both. Most people will probably not be familiar with the Simpson 303. It is a vacuum tube multimeter that looks like a 260. When I did the instrument maintenance for a missile guidance manufacturer, we had two 303s that were the most accurate multimeters in the shop until production got hold of them and destroyed them. Years later I found one in new condition on EBAY. You can see things watching a needle that are impossible to interpret on a digital display.

I have a number of analog oscilloscopes and use them. If everyone setting up an RPC had a scope and knew how to use it, most of the issues would disappear and we would not be plagued with so many asinine questions.

Bill

Back