What's new
What's new

OT: filtering EMI/RFI from LED lightbulbs

kd1yt

Cast Iron
Requesting permission for something a bit OT but it is electrical and relates to my machine tool equipment, or at least the workspace where I use it.

I've successfully used Cree-brand LED replacements for incandescent bulbs in my house. Great light quality and longevity, and I'm on an electric coop with steep kwh rates, so the savings are most welcome.

So I put a batch of 100w Cree bulbs in the overhead bulb sockets in the area of my shop where I have my machines. Great visibility, better than when I had incandescents. I'd actually like to gradually now put them in the other areas of the barn/shop.

But- the 100w Crees throw out a substantial amount of electromagnetic fuzz that swamps and blocks all but the really strong radio stations- of which there are not a lot here, because it is a rural, mountainous area.

The 60w equivalent Crees that I mostly use in my house do not seem to do this- but they wouldn't do nearly as good a job lighting up my workspace.

From other interests I am familiar with techniques like bypass capacitors (I'd probably start with 0.01uf, maybe in trios with one across the 120v line and one from each lead to ground), chokes, ferrite beads, modular 'potted' filters & etc.

Obviously I cannot make this into a mega project with pricey EMI filters, which might also be too bulky to fit in the boxes above the light sockets. So I welcome thoughts from those with electromagnetically-inclined bright minds and even more experience than I whether something simple like the 0.01uf caps (just across the line, or in trios of across the line and from each leg to ground) is likely to make a substantial difference. I know I could just dive in with trial and error out of my electronic junk box, but given some of the brains and experience here, I'd welcome suggestions before I just start trying stuff

Thanks!

Back