What's new
What's new

phase converter wiring and help

orange54

Plastic
let me start off by saying i am a longgg time lurker, but this is my first time posting. ive searched for hours and hours continuously, and ill admit, wiring is out of my element. im buying a vf2ss, a 14-40 manual lathe, a real saw (eventually), and the other equipment a real shop has. after fighting with the electric company and inspectors, (most of the fighting was getting them to return my calls). i have 200 amp service coming in hopefully by the end of this week, its not much, but for now its enough. its only single phase, so im going to need a phase converter. like i said, ive searched here for hours looking for answers, and honestly, there are so many mixed answers and people who know way more than me for me to grasp what they are saying. ive gathered that haas over rates their power requirements and hp, and that i can likely get away with a smaller phase converter and smaller breaker than their recommended 100 amp. i was looking at the american rotary ad 50,(AD Series American Rotary) which gives me 25 hp starting power. i do plan on using the haas in mostly aluminum, with full 1400in/min rapids, and doing a 50/50 mix of heavy hogging and light high rpm finishing. this converter should be more than enough for a vf2 ss, and a 1440 manual lathe, possibly a bandsaw, depending on what saw i end up with- correct?

part 2 of my question-
do i need a separate 3 phase load center after the phase converter? thats something i was unaware of. if i need that breaker box, what amp breakers do i put in their for the haas? some guys on here say 40, others 50, some 80. im thinking 50 amps would suffice, since i was told that the machine has a 40 amp in its cabinet... again tho, im asking for your guys input, if im wrong tell me im wrong and help me out please. also, for the two circuits of single phase feeding the phase converter, what breakers should i run in them? 75? (its the biggest i saw at home depot when i bought my breaker box, a square d one after wheelieking's thread)

any and all input is appreciated, ive wanted my own shop since i started highschool, i just graduated college, i have work lined up as soon as this machine hits the ground, and i figured what the heck, im young, no kids, no wife, no real responsibilities, nows the time to try it... as long as i stick full time at my day job i will be guaranteed to make the payments on the machine and other new costs (electric, insurance, etc) so, im going to go for it. like i said, any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance

i've never thought about inrush at the main transformer distribution until recently. (It was in a different thread). I and three of my neighbours are on a 50 kVA. I have never had a problem yet, But I do get small light dimming. (I suspect some of my neighbours are getting this too). I have a 6 and 15 kVA transformers get me 600 V. I really had to wrap my head around what I was sucking when I was only thinking 600 at 15 amp and 600 at 5 amps. my neighbours are very rarely ever at home. I now know, I need to watch what I do in the evening hours(5-10pm) . My workshop has 150 kVA dedicated three phase, I just looked that up too, as I only have 200 amp breaker as my main. So, I am limited to 144 A even at my main shop, but this is at 600 V three-phase. There I have a 45 kVA transformer drawn the office stuff and ....

The pole breaker has only tripped once in 25 years.

200A at 240v is 200*240=48000 or 48kw.

Just how much power will you anticipate your mill, lathe, and other equipment will pull?

Realize that a fair chunk of a 3-phase machine is running on single-phase power. The spindle motor is usually three phase, mebbie a coolant pump and a hydraulic pump on three... but the rest... usually single. A half-bright guy with wiring diagrams would go through and see what HAD to be three-phase, and then consider converting just THOSE parts to single.

If I had a CNC milling machine, I'd go through it, figure it out, fit a VFD to the spindle, with eventual plan of having the CNC controls choose the speed, mebbie fit a tach to the spindle, so that the G-code can change speed to suit the SFPM of material and cut radius... I'd either change the hydraulic pump or come up with some way to make it run on single. If I had one, that's exactly what I'd do. (Doh... I have one... and that's what I'm doing...)

Lathes need VFDs. Let's face the facts here... a variable speed spindle is the next best thing to a lathe, than the carriage and cross-slide... so put a VFD on it, and feed the VFD single-phase. All my lathes have VFDs, except the 24" Lodge and Shipley... it's a 5hp Honda that'll eventually be sipping propane from a Garretson KN demand regulator and a pair of 1000-gallon tanks... but I'm also considering using my Fairbanks Morse ZC-118, or even stepping up to mebbie a Continental YS-69, or a Hercules ZXB, or mebbie an Allis B engine rolling the lineshaft... dunno yet.

I think with 200A coming in, there's not much you cannot do, you just need to remember that you can't do more than two or three things at a time. Since there's only one of you, that helps, but with a CNC machine chewing away, you'll wanna keep your foot out of the TIG welder.

Back