What's new
What's new

Phoenix, Norht American or American Rotary Phase Converter?

beeser

Cast Iron
I've decided to go with a rotary phase converter to power my Bridgeport mill and Victor lathe. The mill has a 2hp motor and the lathe a 3hp. All converters are about the same price with the exception of the Phoenix, which is about $300 more. Is the quality about the same with these manufacturers? Is there a better alternative? I plan to get one with a separate wall mount controller and a TEFC motor.

I'll tell you my 3cents.. American Rotary is who I went with. I bought the 15Hp... (go higher in HP IMO and you'll end up adding stuff). They did negotiate a little bit. I think I got another hundred off. Been too long. every little bit counts these days. Mine has the silent Baldor... and I'll tell you it's whipser quiet. To me, in a small garage, was a real blessing. See if they may offer you DB outputs for comparison? Or something about noise if that matters to you. I also got a really cool T-Shirt. Hope your choice goes well. From a quality standpoint, there are CNC rated ones. I cannot recall if this was in the balance setups, or more Caps, or both? I've forgotten that material. Enjoy the toys! I've come to love mine. would buy again from ARC.

I have a Mill with a 3 hp motor. About 8 years ago when I was refurbishing it, I needed a rotary phase converter. I had not yet learned how to build one myself so I went online and ordered a Phoenix RPC that they rated at 5 hp. I was sorry the minute that I started it up.

It had a smallish motor that was apparently 3,750 rpm. I say apparently because the motor plate had been removed. It was also incredibly noisy. It wailed like a banshee so that you couldn't hear yourself think. It was also under-powered and would barely start the mill.

I put up with it for about 3 months until it quit working. Upon inspection I saw that it had blown out its start capacitor. I tried to see what the value was so that I could replace it. It and the two run capacitors had been glued into the case backwards with silicone so that the values and voltages could not be seen.

I called the company and asked for a schematic so that I could repair it. The person who answered told me that such information was proprietary and couldn't be released. LOL.

So began a study of rotary phase converters, mostly on this site and with the assistance of many who responded to my questions .

I pulled out all of the silicone and finally found the value of the start capacitor, which as I recall was undersized. When I was finished repairing the unit, I put it on Craigslist and sold it at a loss.

I then built my own 5 hp RPC with a Boston Gear 1,750 rpm motor that was much, much quieter. Later, just for fun, I built a 7.5 hp unit with a 7.5 hp Baldor motor found at a second hand store that works equally well.

So for the OP, I would buy something other than a Phoenix because of the above. Preferably, he could build his own but in the alternative, any of the others he's considering should be fine.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Newman109! With an experience like what you had with the Phoenix rotary phase converter I'll be crossing that seller off the list.

I recently bought a 10hp American Rotary. I think it’s a AD model. I use it run a 16” gear head 5hp lathe and a Acer CNC mill. It starts the lathe in high gear with no issues. It’s a bit louder than I expected, but not obnoxious.

I am satisfied with the quality of the unit I have. I don’t think they try to hide any cap values etc.

I word it that way because the first units control panel had some poorly made crimps. Now I will admit that I’m very picky and work in the nuclear industry and used to teach QA crimping and soldering. American was extremely quick to react to my comments and immediately Fedex another panel out which had no issues, so kudos for customer service ,- points for 100% quality check. The original unit would have worked fine and was safe, but it was expensive enough that lousy crimps should not be expected.

I would buy another if required.
Just my two cents
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have an american rotary 30hp that I got used. Been using it for about 3 years now. No complaints.
What do you think about the noise? I'm thinking about getting an American Rotary 30 HP but the space is small (small kitchen), do you think it's possible to work next to it for several hours?

Check the rpm of the motor before you buy. Slower motors are generally quieter. Don't know about working in the kitchen, though....Keep it away from the food. :skep:

Yeah, the Weg idler was kinda mysterious. Brazilian, yah didn't expect the Sauerkraut and red cabbage to be vanishing.

Bit of research, and sure enough, Weg was founded by German expats, so it's "in the Levi's", one supposes.

In my current shop, I run a pair of 60 hp, American Rotary "CNC Balanced" converters, I have had them in service going on 13 years, with almost no issues whatsoever. I did need a couple of Capacitors once, in that time, American rotary boxed, and shipped overnight and I was back up the next day. Good equipment, and a responsive company.

"What do you think about the noise? I'm thinking about getting an American Rotary 30 HP but the space is small (small kitchen), do you think it's possible to work next to it for several hours? "

there is nothing saying you need to park the converter/ motor right next to whatever it is running, just add a few feet of wire and any noise is a non issue.

Best,
Chris

The problem I found with American rotary is, when it not running, it hase the ability to single phase your machine still. I have heard that they are redesigning A couple models to prevent this. North American rotary runs all power through the contactors preventing single phasing.

Back