What's new
What's new

How to wire Drum Switch/Unknown Motor

kroll

Plastic
I did not know if this is the right spot or not but reading other post here,maybe it is.
Guys I pick up a motor that has no capacitor or tag on the motor saying what size hp it is or how to wire for 120/240 volts.I was told that it and the drum switch came off a lathe that it was wired for 240v single phase and guessing that the rpm is 1725.The motor leads or as follows P1,P2,T2,T3,T4,T5,T8,I don't understand why its missing T1 nor P1 and P2then jumps to T8.Now the drum switch is Rev/Stp/Fwd and tag on the left side 1,3,5 on the right 2,4,6.In Rev 1,2 is made 3,4 is made and 5,6 is made.Fwd 1,3 is made 2,4 is made 5,6 is made, if any of this makes since.I have look at several wiring diagrams but have not come across one that shows these type of motor leads.Any help with directions or links to somewhere is much appreciated---kroll

Strange, but you might study the pix in the first post in this thread and the responses: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...phase-motor-reversing-switch-my-lathe-264163/

You have the 'other' type of drum switch, not the one diagrammed in the post above, which can still be used, just wired a bit differently, not as described in later post in the thread.

So now you have a proposed motor connection plate, you need to say whether you want 110 or 220v on the motor and if you want to reverse the motor.

Allright: for 110v switch connections are: SW1: motor leads P2 + T3 // SW2: motor lead T5// SW3: motor T8// SW4: motor leads T2+T4 and 110v L1 // SW5: motor lead P1// SW6: 110v L2
If motor rotation incorrect reverse motor T5 and T8 on the switch.
You can probably parse out the 220 connex.

For 220 SW1: T2+T3// SW2: T5// SW3: T8// SW4: T4+ 220V L2// SW5: P1 and Sw6: 220V L1 Motor lead P2 is not connected. Again reverse T5 and T8 on the switch if rotation direction is
'wrong'.

Back