What's new
What's new

Problems with 4 HP Huanyang VFD

MT6

Aluminum
I bought one of the Chinese 4 HP inverters off of Ebay for $126.
Hooked it up to my Bader Space saver grinder. 5 HP 3 phase motor on it.
Programmed the parameters for Freq, output voltage, current, and so on.
Powered it up and thought I should have lots of torque now.
I'm running it off of 240 volt single phase.
I could easily slow the belt down, dang!
Checked all the parameters again but didn't find anything wrong.
The bus voltage is around 357 volts, only drops a couple when I load the motor.
The output voltage can be monitored by toggling through the selections to the small u.
It only reads 79 volts. Thats got to be a problem.
That is with the output voltage programmed to 255.
Contacted the vendor and sent him the entire parameter list, he said it was a bad VFD.
Sent a new one to me.
This new one only reads 45 volts on the output and is very easy to stall.
Even with the motor disconnected the voltages reads the same.

I hooked up my Hitachi 2 HP inverter to the motor and it ran great, couldn't stall it.

Anyone else had any experience with these?
Is there some hidden parameter that says divide selected output voltage by some random number?

Thanks,
MT6

Well I didn't even get one comment such as "You get what you pay for".

However, the one thing I didn't try was reseting to original factory parameters by setting parameter 13 to 1. (Would have thought the factory would have reset them.) That fixed it, I can now get the output voltage to read what it is set at.

The 5 HP motor works fine and wont stall now. Time will tell how it holds up.

I'll have plenty of power to run small contact wheels at lower RPMs and be able to hog with the big ones at high speed. It's also nice to be able to vary the speed to get rid of vibrations.

MT6

Yes, I set #13 to 1 and that reset it. Apparently there must be some hidden parameters that were causing the problem. I then had to enter the other parameters that I had originally used and it works fine.

The 5 HP motor on the Bader shows just over 1 amp running a belt with no load. I also tried it on a 5HP buffer driving a 14" scotch brite wheel, and it was around .8 amps with no load. Both are 1750 RPM motors. Even putting a pretty heavy load on the belt or buffer only got a little over 2 AMPs. Probably could have gotten by using a 2HP VFD.

Maybe I should see if it will run the 15HP motor on my Kopings lathe:)

MT6

''Maybe I should see if it will run the 15HP motor on my Kopings lathe''
Back in the eighties I blew an output transistor on a vfd by trying it on too big a load. The transistor cost 600$ back then, the drive about 6000$. It sounded like a rifle shot when it blew.
So did you end up with two drives for the price of one?
Rob

Yes, I set #13 to 1 and that reset it. Apparently there must be some hidden parameters that were causing the problem. I then had to enter the other parameters that I had originally used and it works fine.

The 5 HP motor on the Bader shows just over 1 amp running a belt with no load. I also tried it on a 5HP buffer driving a 14" scotch brite wheel, and it was around .8 amps with no load. Both are 1750 RPM motors. Even putting a pretty heavy load on the belt or buffer only got a little over 2 AMPs. Probably could have gotten by using a 2HP VFD.

Maybe I should see if it will run the 15HP motor on my Kopings lathe:)

MT6
If it's a used drive and you did not go through the proper process of resetting the VFD to the factory defaults, you have no idea what they may have been trying to do with that drive. It's also possible that even if it was "new" (unopened), the fleabay seller was selling surplus product from a machine builder somewhere who was using a factory customized drive for a specific application. When you reset everything to factory defaults, you got rid of that customization and restored it to being a basic cheap V/Hz drive so it ran fine.

So in essence you did get what you paid for, nincompoop tech support.

No I didn't end up with 2 for the price of one. We did some negotiating. It was a new item from a China supplier. There is no clear link to factory tech support that I can see. They probably could have set me straight right away.

I was just kidding on trying to run the 15HP motor. I have a 20HP RPC for that. These VFDs have programable ramp speeds and current limiting so I doubt it would destruct. If the ramp speed is to quick it will trip out.

I hooked the VFD to my Wells Index mill with a 3HP motor. It was a little cool (30F) in the shop today and with the variable speed pulley it drew about 5 amps at 60HZ. That would probably come down once things got warmed up. Manually locked out the electric motor brake because I didn't think it would release soon enough during ramp up.

Looks like it will be a decent VFD once the original problem was corrected.

MT6

If you ever discover a name brand drive that is obviously OEMed by this factory it would be nice if you post the info here.
Rob

The 5 HP motor on the Bader shows just over 1 amp running a belt with no load. I also tried it on a 5HP buffer driving a 14" scotch brite wheel, and it was around .8 amps with no load. Both are 1750 RPM motors. Even putting a pretty heavy load on the belt or buffer only got a little over 2 AMPs.

MT6

Thanks for this! just got my 1.5 HP Baldor buffer up and running with a 3KW 4HP 13A 220VAC ebay VFD using tips gleaned here and elsewhere to decode the instruction book. That Chinlish combined with my limited Electronese was a bit contusing.

Back