What's new
What's new

Question about Leblond Regal wiring

cfaw10

Plastic
I'm looking at a 15x30 Regal 5hp servo shift machine. Called Leblond with the serial #, and they said the machine was originally wired for 460 volts. They weren't much help other than giving the original specs. My question is, can this machine be set up to run on 240v 3 phase? The motor probably could, but with the control panel being rated for 460, what will I run into trying to convert this to 240? It will be run off of a RPC. Anyone have experience with this particular issue?

Thanks

First off I should state that I know nothing specifically about how the Leblond control circuitry is tied into the machine. With that disclaimer out of the way, if the machine operates off of two reversing contactors with a thermal overload built in, then the control side may be as simple as moving the taps that feed the transformer that powers the control circuitry from the 480V tap to the 230V tap (move one wire). However, you will need to step up the wire size that actually powers the motor as it will not handle the amps at 230V and will be a hazard. I just finished a conversion on a 20"CM Monarch lathe from 480V to 230V (motor had to be rewound and new bearings were installed). If you need a wiring diagram for the control side for a simple forward (normally open) – stop (normally closed) – reverse (normally open) setup, I have a nice diagram I did in AutoCAD to help me that I would be more than willing to post/PM/e-mail to you.

- Ben

Just got off the phone with a different rep at Leblond. He said these machines were dual voltage, but that some components would need to be changed in the control panel. However, no one is in the service dept. this week, and he didn't know exactly what would need to be changed, (or how much $$$).

I looked at mine and it does not say it is dual voltage.
Main motor is probably dual voltage but I am not sure the hydraulic is. Might be and might not be. It is behind my control cabinet and I can not see a tag nor get to the pecker head to check. Both motors will need rewired in the pecker head to lower voltage configuration if they are dual voltage.
Control transformer will need taps changed. No biggie. Controls look to be 110 volt and some dc. Transformer should take care of them.
Main motor and hydraulic motor starters will need their thermal overloads changed to correspond to the new amp rating. Wire size may be an issue but not nessisarily. You will have to take a look and see what you have.
That is all I see on mine, but it would not hurt to double check. Yours may be different. Good luck.

Cfaw,
I sent you a PM. Could you give an update on your Regal rewire? Did this procedure work? - http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/1312072-post13.html
I am looking at a 460V 11c series machine.
Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at a 15x30 Regal 5hp servo shift machine. Called Leblond with the serial #, and they said the machine was originally wired for 460 volts. They weren't much help other than giving the original specs. My question is, can this machine be set up to run on 240v 3 phase? The motor probably could, but with the control panel being rated for 460, what will I run into trying to convert this to 240? It will be run off of a RPC. Anyone have experience with this particular issue?

Thanks

460 to 230 volt conversion

I just recently converted my Leblond 15 x 30 Regal W/Servo shift from 460 volts to 230 volts.
It seemed real complicated ,but went real easy.The servo motor had no diagram plate on it,but you can use the same wiring diagram that is on the main motor.
There were a couple pair of extra wires in the servo that serve some other function , but I left them like they were.They look different than the normal motor wires.Just leave them like they are.Some of the wire numbers were missing ,so I used the process of elimination on these & it worked well.
There were a few wires that had to be changed from 1 lug to another in the control box on the upper back side of the machine.I also changed the heaters
& the fuse on the magnetic switch on the control box on the end of the machine.I tried running it with the existing heaters but it would trip the heaters in the higher speeds.I got the heaters from Grainger.Item #1H610
Thermal Unit B14.0
I have the wiring diagram & can scan it & email it to you if you still need it.Just reply if you need them.I am sure I can dig it up.

I’m sorry to bother you but I was reading your post and was hoping you may still have a copy of the LeBlond wiring diagram if I’ve asked you before I apologize in advance just been desperately looking thanx advance Mick [email protected]

Back