What's new
What's new

VFD and motor brake

rich p

Cast Iron
We have a beading machine that we are modifying to run at different rpm's. I am installing a Teco- Westinhouse FM 100 VFD. One concern is the motor has a brake on the back of it. Looks like two wires to the brake, one hot and the other gets energized when the motor comes on. My question is, has anyone had any problems with the brake and A VFD? I believe the brake is ac in to a bridge rectifier, then dc to brake.

Assuming its a mechanical brake (rather than electrical DC braking), you will need to provide a separate power feed to the brake, you will not be able to feed it from the VFD output. The VFD ramps up the output voltage over time, but it will not be able to get up to the release threshold before the VFD trips into an output fault or overload fault due to trying to start into a locked motor.

Assuming the VFD has a relay output that can indicate that the VFD is in a Run status, you can either feed the brake circuit through that relay, or use that relay to control a larger relay if the brake requires more power than the VFD's relay can handle. When the VFD is commanded to run, the status relay will energize, supplying power to the brake and releasing it (assuming it is a failsafe type where you apply power to release rather than applying power to enagage).

When the VFD is commanded to stop, what happens will depend on whether the VFD is set up to ramp the motor down or let it coast. If set to ramp, the status relay should wait until the VFD's output reaches 0 Hz before de-energizing and engaging the brake. But if the VFD is set to coast, then the relay will de-energize as soon as the VFD is told to stop, which means the brake will engage immediately, which could be quite stressfull to the machanicals.

John

I have a brake on my big lathe & its in the lower back of the headstock. Havent got it running with VFD yet, But im assuming it is mechanical. Leblond sliding gap bed, 16" heavy duty with 15hp motor. Am I assuming right?

Back