What's new
What's new

RPC and Motor Starter question

Chucky55

Plastic
I have set up a 15hp RPC to run a powermatic vertical bandsaw, and for future equipment for my little home shop. I have a question regarding the some wiring options for the magnetic starter.

The RPC is dead simple...pony start, unbalanced. Works like a charm. Because it is oversized for the little 2hp motor on the Powermatic, I am not concerned with balancing at this time...maybe a future project. My generated leg runs about 10% lower than other two legs at idle. Haven't measured at load yet.

I am using a Allen Bradley 709 series size 0 starter...attached is the wiring diagram...

My question is this...using a 240v coil in the starter, am I OK to use my unbalanced generated leg(L2)for one leg of the coil circuit?

My initial thought was that it would provide protection from single phasing if something caused the RPC to drop offline or if there was any problem. But I am not sure if the lower voltage, and maybe fluctuating voltage, would be an issue for the coil? Will the coil operate at the lower voltage from my generated leg (about 217V at idle), or should I use the two factory legs at the full 240v to power the coil and give up any "single phasing" protection? Or maybe there is another method I am unaware of to provide "single phasing" protection?

Thank you in advance for reading and replys...
Chucky

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
No, connect the coil to the non-generated legs. The unstable nature of the generated leg will cause chatter and erratic contactor operation. I unknowingly connected a lathe to the RPC with the coil on the generated leg. Caused all kinds of problems. Switched to the incoming legs, it is stable.

Tom

It is reasonable as a question, although I am not sure how serious an issue it really is, since the RPC pretty much works as long as there is input power. If it is a concern, the best idea might be to power something obvious such as machine lights from the generated leg. Then you will notice if it goes out.

But I do not think you should have any such issues, at least if you use breakers for the machines. With fuses, yes, you can single phase if any of the three fuses blow.

Thanks for replies...I will run coil on incoming legs then..
I have a breaker for the supply 240v, then the rpc is fused with a disconnect, then another fused disconnect for the bandsaw. I think a will do a light on the generated leg...also will remind me not to leave the RPC on when I leave the shop!
So, I am new to motor starters...have been reading and educating myself somewhat...but can someone tell me if my understanding is correct...if I lose either of the input legs, the coil (240v wired to the two incoming legs...not the generated leg) will open, unlatching the contactor which will shut down the motor. However, what happens if I lose the generated leg? Will the motor, if now running single phase, get hotter, and the heater(s) thru increased current open and therefor shut down the motor? Or, if running, would it just continue to run on single phase just as the idler motor is running on single phase, only at reduced power?

If you loose the generated leg on a running system, the power will revert to single phase operation. Three phase motors will continue to run, although they may make a growling sound. The horsepower capability of the motors will be reduced by 1/3. Since most motors are not run capacity, the loss may not be noticed until trying to start a machine.

Tom

Back