What's new
What's new

Running 3phase 220v on single phase 110v

emorymcdougald

Plastic
I bought a Micro-Matic precision wafering machine that is converted into a surface grinder a few months ago and I finally have some free time to get it up and running. My problem is that it is a 3 phase 220v motor and I'm only set up for single phase 110v. I have looked at buying a new motor for it but I would rather keep the motor and add a converter or VFD of some kind. I have seen a few different VFDs that look like they would work, I just want someone's input that knows more about this than I do.
Thanks

They exist, usually up to about 1 HP or so. Several brands have single phase input 120V units.

I know of Hitachi and Invertek, there should be others.

1 hp is readily available with 120 v input on eBay.

Similarly. 5 hp is available with 240 1 phase input for <$200

Thanks for the help, I just ordered a vfd and plan on setting it up next week. To wire the motor in, do I just cut off the plug that is on it and wire it to the vfd?

Essentially, yes. Your VFD will come with wiring instructions. You sound like you can go the most basic route. They can also be programmed to have a remote control panel, you can vary the start and stop times, and many more things. You can use the original machine controls to control the VFD. *Do not* attempt to control the motor with controls between the VFD and the motor.
I have mine set up with the controls on the machine and the VFD's remote, I have speed control, start stop, reverse, and of course the "oh SH*T" button right at the machine. And the "oh SH*T" button reset.
They don't like swarf, which is why mine are remote now.
First one I had I just mounted it on the wall and used the controls on the VFD itself.

Thanks for the help, I just ordered a vfd and plan on setting it up next week. To wire the motor in, do I just cut off the plug that is on it and wire it to the vfd?

You can. Be sure there is a ground wire in the cable, and hook that to the designated ground point on the VFD (checking it is also connected to motor frame). That will somewhat lower the amount of radio noise it broadcasts. Without a shielded cable, VFDs do tend to wipe out radio nearby.

Back