What's new

Running a single phase motor on VFD

• Thread starter dloc
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 37,558
D

dloc

Is there a way to run a single phase motor on a VFD so that I can get variable speed? The motor runs an industrial flap sander. Alternative is to swap out the single phase motor for a three phase but that will be difficult mechanically. No room to swap pulleys.

Also no.

But look at the problem again. Three phase motors are frequently smaller than single phase for the same HP. Also study the motor catalog looking at small motor frame sizes that duplicate that of the singl ephase motor you have. Surely there's something.

Dloc,depending on the hp.of your motor,you might get by with a Variac. An adjustable AC.power supply. I have one rated at 3/4hp.used to achieve speed control of a big ventilation fan. I don't think it will work with a split phase motor. I have a smaller one on my drill press,running a 3/4hp.DC. motor,with some electronic controls.

So can someone recommend a VFD setup (controller and drive motor) for a 1-1/2 HP Jet mill/drill? I'd really dig getting away from the belt change setup. Currently I have 110/220VAC single phase available, but may be getting 3 phase this winter.

I purchased one of
http://www.dealerselectric.com/
2HP VFD/Motor packages to go on my RF31 and have been extremely pleased with it. I just checked his web site and he now has 3 packages available 1,2,3 HP. He used to have a 1 1/2 package also, but it may be sold out. Give him a call and ask??

Usual disclaimer, just a satisfied customer
smile.gif

Yes, look at the Allen Bradley PowerFlex series. They have single phase units in this new series.

Jeremy, you'll still have to change belts even with a VFD/three phase motor drive. You need the mechanical advantage to run those operations requireing significant power.

Induction motors are constant torque devices. If, for example, your 1 HP machine is set to top speed of 2500 RPM and you wish to drill a 1/2 hole is steel at 500 RPM but turning down the VFD, you'll discover you have only about 1/5 HP available.

You'll still have to flip belts with a VFD but not as often.

Puzzled.

Why not? The power on the power pole is three phase. But you can decide to use one, two or three phases, dictated by your equipment needs.
So if your VFD is the 3phase "provider" and you are the client, seems to me you can decide as well.

It depends on the motor. A "PSC" motor, with a start/run capacitor and no start centrifugal switch you CAN run on a single phase output type VFD.

They start at full speed, then can be varied in speed over a decent range. A regular split phase would also work, EXCEPT that the start switch would cut in if you went below about 80% of full speed, making it not very useful.

A few other non-useful motor types also work, but are limited to low power applications.

Basically the motor you have is probably one that does not usefully work.

It depends on the motor. A "PSC" motor, with a start/run capacitor and no start centrifugal switch you CAN run on a single phase output type VFD.

They start at full speed, then can be varied in speed over a decent range. A regular split phase would also work, EXCEPT that the start switch would cut in if you went below about 80% of full speed, making it not very useful...
I wonder... could the centrifugal switch be replaced by a timing relay? I mean, you really only need the start winding energized just long enough to determine rotation direction, then the relay could time out and reset when the motor is de-energized.

Dennis

They also tend to pull a lot of start current. may not be available, even from the 1P units out there. Never tried it, only used PSC types.

It Is done for some well pumps. Turned down a bid request for a VFD design for well pump once. Didn't look cost effective. They wanted 5A or so continuous, and 45A start, IIRC.

Why not? The power on the power pole is three phase. But you can decide to use one, two or three phases, dictated by your equipment needs.
So if your VFD is the 3phase "provider" and you are the client, seems to me you can decide as well.
Thank you for reviving a 14 YEAR OLD THREAD. :rolleyes5:

There are VFDs made to run single phase motors, but only PSC (and shaded pole, which is pointless anyway).

Feeding only 2 poles off of a 3 phase drive will create a current imbalance that the VFD will (should) trip on by assuming it has a defective transistor because no current is flowing through it at the right times (a VFD is constantly cross checking itself).

If you found one that would NOT trip on output current imbalance, then in theory maybe a Split Phase with a timer and relay on the output of the drive instead of using a centrifugal switch is theoretically possible, but the starting current will exceed the transistor rating, unless you so grossly over size the VFD that it would have been cheaper to just get a three phase motor and a VFD that can accept single phase input. Basically all the risk of popping your expensive VFD without much reward.

Back