What's new
What's new

Single or 3 Phase??? Austrian Motor Plate

eseattle

Plastic
I have some people telling me these are 1 phase and some telling me they're 3 phase motors...

What is the defining element/abbreviation here? Is it the S1 in the "ED" field?? Can anyone translate this plate definitively?

Thank you for your help!!! oh and the third pic is of the sticker on the front of the machine... looks like a single wave to me...Single phase.jpg

IMG_3935.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Power Factor Correction (cos Pi) almost always indicates a three phase motor. However it should be easy to determine from the motor terminals.

S1 is like a "duty cycle" rating, it basically means continuous duty. It's as close as they come to what we call "Service Factor", only for them, the BEST (S1) is what we would call SF 1.0

S1 Continuous duty The motor works at a constant load for enough time to reach temperature equilibrium.
S2 Short-time duty The motor works at a constant load, but not long enough to reach temperature equilibrium. The rest periods are long enough for the motor to reach ambient temperature.
S3 Intermittent periodic duty Sequential, identical run and rest cycles with constant load. Temperature equilibrium is never reached. Starting current has little effect on temperature rise.
S4 Intermittent periodic duty with starting Sequential, identical start, run and rest cycles with constant load. Temperature equilibrium is not reached, but starting current affects temperature rise.
S5 Intermittent periodic duty with electric braking Sequential, identical cycles of starting, running at constant load and running with no load. No rest periods.
S6 Continuous operation with intermittent load Sequential, identical cycles of running with constant load and running with no load. No rest periods.
S7 Continuous operation with electric braking Sequential identical cycles of starting, running at constant load and electric braking. No rest periods.
S8 Continuous operation with periodic changes in load and speed Sequential, identical duty cycles run at constant load and given speed, then run at other constant loads and speeds. No rest periods.

2.2kW = 3HP. 3HP @ 230 3 phase would be around 9.6A, that's a single phase motor. Also evident by the PF (Cosine Phi) being .95. That's the result of the capacitor in the motor.

Power Factor Correction (cos Pi) almost always indicates a three phase motor. However it should be easy to determine from the motor terminals.

If memory serves cos Phi is for AC power in general. I recall something about determining AC equivalent for resistance, impedance.

Why not just look at the wiring diagram and see how many leads there are?

What is sketchy is the sticker in the first picture seems to indicate (1) presumably single phase, 220 Volts and 60 Hz, but the motor name plate says 50 Hz.

I've got some Euro machines that just run a 50 Hz motor at 60 with different pulleys. SCMI 7.5 hp motors at 50 hz are always labeled 9 hp at 60 hz when run in US. Dave

Cos phi just means the power FACTOR, not "correction". All AC motors have a power factor, they are just telling you what it is. The PF being that good means there are capacitors involved in it, which implies single phase and fits the rest of the scenario/

What is sketchy is the sticker in the first picture seems to indicate (1) presumably single phase, 220 Volts and 60 Hz, but the motor name plate says 50 Hz.
Not uncommon. They know that in a machine tool, that motor is not likely to be running fully loaded for long periods of time, so they are saying basically that it's OK to operate it at 60Hz.

Back