What's new
What's new

Starting and Stopping a RPC

redlee

Titanium
Is there any harm in stopping and starting my RPC (I mean turning it off and on) sometimes I only need a few minutes of machining then I turn it off,then ten minutes later I need it again. I hate listening to it if I dont need it. Just wondering if in the long run it will shorten its life?
Thanks

Is there any harm in stopping and starting my RPC (I mean turning it off and on) sometimes I only need a few minutes of machining then I turn it off,then ten minutes later I need it again. I hate listening to it if I dont need it. Just wondering if in the long run it will shorten its life?
Thanks

Starting stress does shorten the life of any relays, and of course capacitors.

That said, you aren't likely to wear them out for YEARS. Cold winter days, I might ignore the noise and leave it on longer, otherwise if noise is distracting or annoying, safer to shut it off.

Every bit of it is more expendable and easier and cheaper to replace than YOU are..

:)

Bill

Thanks

You won't notice the difference, if any. It's better to have those 10 minutes of quiet for thinking rather than rushing a operation because the RPC is on and making noise.

With regard to a shortened life, it depends on the internal components of your unit which includes the quality of the components. What is inside your RPC?

Last edited:
You could also fix the noise problem, or move the thing to where it isn't an issue.

Mine can barely be hard around the corner from it, and not at all if a machine is on. When I got it, it sounded like a metal recycler's truck on a bumpy road, pursued by the police.

Thanks
Richard, you have a decent RPC. It is fairly well-made. The only thing with subpar RPCs is they do not have adequate bleed resistors on the start capacitors. If you wish, I can send you some extra bleed resistors at no charge. Most often A bleed resister will outlast start capacitors. If it is a properly built RPC (which yours is) it should have dissipation within one minute(by code). I usually call this the 3 minute rule, 10 minutes safe.

Matt

Back