What's new
What's new

Static Phase converter switch question

daryl bane

Titanium
Did the research and can't find the answer. I have a 3/4 HP 3ph. blower motor, and a properly sized Phase a Matic static converter. Can I put a switch to turn on/off the blower motor on the L1 or L2 line feeding the converter, or does the switch have to switch both L1 and L2 together? Or should/could the switch be on the converter 3 ph. output? and which legs? Electrically clueless.

Square D - 251�MBG2 - Non-Reversing 3-Pole NEMAType 1 6��VAC 18A Manual Motor Starter - Allied Electronics

A. Switch L1 and L2 through a manual switch like this one. :)

B. The converter can be left plugged in as the website says that only .008 amps are drawn when there is no load. :icon_bs:
Then you could switch all three legs leaving the converter. (I wouldn't do it their way).

C. Use a contactor with a push buttons for stop and start. Similar to method A. You could package the converter and two push button switches in a metal enclosure box with a hinged door.:drool5:

Thanks , I was hoping to get away with not having to buy an expensive switch, especially for a smallish motor that doesn't pull many amps.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know why I got confused about this, maybe the wine.... But a double pole toggle on L1 and L2 is probably the way to go for this application. This way the converter is not always energized, except when I flip the switch.

Back