What's new
What's new

Steveco 90-66 Discontinued

peterh5322

Diamond
The Steveco 90-66 potential relay, which many of us have used for starting our RPCs, is being discontinued by Grainger, and perhaps by Steveco (White Rodgers).

This is not a good development, but I can perhaps see why it may be so: the price for the device has steadily increased and is now over $50, thereby pricing itself out of the market.

GE potential relays still seem to be an option, but these are rated only 30 amps compared to the Steveco's 50 amps.

A few other suppliers have also reported the discontinuance, so it is most probably true.

Some may have a few in stock, at least for a little while.

Hi Peter,

That's a shame, really. The Steveco is a terrific unit. Grainger for one has discontinued the 90-66 and have only limited quantities on clearance of the 90-65. I did see them available on Amazon, but they are $55 and probably will only be available until quantities are sold out.

When I saw your post here, I looked on eBay and found a relay that uses a nominal 220 V coil and which has DPDT points. The data sheet states that the points are good for 80 amps @ 250VAC or 30VDC. Could not a relay such as that be used with the N/C side of its points to control a start capacitor or capacitors? The issue would be whether the coil, which is rated 220 V, could withstand the 252 VAC that I'm getting from my utility. I guess that they figure if 240 V is good, 252 must be better. LOL.

By the way, I used your trick of separating the coil from the points in a Steveco on my latest RPC. I use it to control a contactor with a 120 V coil.It works like a charm controlling 800 mfd of caps to start my 7.5 hp Baldor Idler.

That 80 amp unit must be a definite purpose contactor, yes?

With the revised topologies which I have recommended, about the only time you may have to separate the sensitive coil from its common terminal with one side of the integral contactor is for 460 or 575 volt applications, in which case the coil would be placed across one-half of the B phase and one-half of the C phase ... the interior halves, on either side of the Y point.

That 80 amp unit must be a definite purpose contactor, yes?

With the revised topologies which I have recommended, about the only time you may have to separate the sensitive coil from its common terminal with one side of the integral contactor is for 460 or 575 volt applications, in which case the coil would be placed across one-half of the B phase and one-half of the C phase ... the interior halves, on either side of the Y point.

Here's a relay that I found. It's not a definite purpose contactor. There may be some available with 250 Volt coils but it would still require N/C points. I'd have to look arouind. It's not an issue right not since I have two more Steveco 90-66 units.

JQX 62F 2Z DPDT High Power Relay 220V AC Coil 80A 250V AC 30V DC | eBay

I like the idea of dividing the Steveco so that I could use a separare contactor. I could have gotten by without but it works well the way that I have it now.

"I like the idea of dividing the Steveco so that I could use a separare contactor."

I was trying to solve a specific problem, and separating the two seemed to be the easiest idea.

Plus, I had already taken the 90-66 66 apart and could see how easily separated the two were.

The coil is terminated at a miniature Fast-On-type connector, and I could attach the male portion on a spare terminal, using a miniature machine screw, a 2-56 or possibly a 1-72.

When I recently had a problem finding a 90-66 the local HVAC supplier came up with this for a replacement.

Mars ll 166 potential relay
continuous coil voltage 395
pick-up min-215 max-225
drop out max-120

No amp rating in the specs though.
I have not tried it yet as I had a GE back up.
The Mars cost me around $18
I'd be curious to know how this looks for those who really know this subject.

Cheers Z

the MARS and the GE potential relays are similar quality and are direct competitors. I use the GE models for years then switched to the Steveco when I saw my first one. The Steveco is much superior and I am very sad to see it go.
PS. I am still using my 3 hp RPC with a GE potential relay that i orginally installed in 1991. Downside to these is they can not be modified as th Steveco could. I will now have to find another solution for my 24 VAC RPC controls.

Would there be a solidstate start equivalent to the Steveco 90-66. I was going through suppliers looking for new old stock and one fellow suggested trying an SPP-8 which looks like a hard start cap for a 5HP compressor motor.

I'm bumping this old thread because I am in need of a replacement for the 90-66.

I'm trying to build a 7.5 HP RPC of of plans that I received from a member. It required a modified 90-66 so I need to find a workaround. I want to control the RPC with a low voltage switch (24v) at my machine. My idler motor is 7.5 HP, 21.6A @ 230V.

I can follow a plan, but have no idea how to design an RPC. Just never been around potential relays.

Ron

I have no need for one, but I understand the difficulty of going to the library on Super Bowl Sunday.

I don’t watch the event, so I have the time to do your research.

Where were you planning the item?

I’ll check my Sears Big Book catalog, I think it’s down in the basement.

I have no need for one, but I understand the difficulty of going to the library on Super Bowl Sunday.

I don’t watch the event, so I have the time to do your research.

Where were you planning the item?

I’ll check my Sears Big Book catalog, I think it’s down in the basement.

Thank you Steve. I'm not sure I understand the comments made. I don't have enough background to do the research. Don't know where to start. I have taken the time to attempt to learn what a potential relay does. But still out of my reach to pick one that will do what I need.

I don't know what you mean by "Where were you planning the item?"

Not a football fan either, thankfully the world is at my fingertips. But I still don't know where to start.

I am in need of a replacement for the 90-66.
You can find "new old stock" Steveco 90-66 potential relays on eBay from time to time. I think that there's one at present for about $30. Failing that, you might be able to find a Steveco 90-69 that is a direct replacement for the 90-66. See the attached datasheet insert that was in the box with a 90-69 that I recently bought. Also, I believe that White-Rodgers (and possibly others) have private label 90-69 that are identical to the Steveco. The 90-69 can be opened up and modified just as the 90-66 can be.

Steveco_90-69.jpg

Also, the Mars 19166 potential relay has similar specs as the 90-66. I don't know, however, if it can be easily opened up for modification.

You can find "new old stock" Steveco 90-66 potential relays on eBay from time to time. I think that there's one at present for about $30. Failing that, you might be able to find a Steveco 90-69 that is a direct replacement for the 90-66. See the attached datasheet insert that was in the box with a 90-69 that I recently bought. Also, I believe that White-Rodgers (and possibly others) have private label 90-69 that are identical to the Steveco. The 90-69 can be opened up and modified just as the 90-66 can be.

View attachment 219596

Also, the Mars 19166 potential relay has similar specs as the 90-66. I don't know, however, if it can be easily opened up for modification.

Thank you also Don. I have been watching Ebay since I realized that I was in this position. I must have the wrong search terms on Ebay. I have searched Steveco 90-66 and come up with no results. Many "Results matching fewer words" but no joy on 90-66.

I'd drop $30 on the one you found and move on. But I haven't seen it.

Back