What's new
What's new

Rotary Phase Converter Problem

threadman

Aluminum
I am having a problem with my converter. Sometimes it will start (maybe 10 or 12 times in a row) then it won't, just sit there and grumble, or try to run backwords. I tried changing the start cap, no change. I checked the potential relay, it's not shorted out. Changed bearings in the idler motor. I will post some pictures later and go into some more detail if you want.

picture

heres a picture, it is homemade from a box that I got free. That is a transformer to convert the 220 volt to 110, because the coil in the starter is 110. That is a 3 phase starter that was there so I just used that. That extra cap is the one that I tried but did not help.

Disregard what I said in the previous post about the extra cap. I was thinking of a earlier picture. I made this converter from some parts I found around.

Attachments

• phase converter 002.jpg
    phase converter 002.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 765
If the motor sits there and grumbles and sometimes starts backwards the starting capacitor is not supplying power to its windings. So its the cap, or the control relays contacts are not making (dirty/burnt) or the motor windings.
Inspect the relay to see if the contacts are clean, try folding a bit of 200 grit emery cloth around a feeler gauge blade and work it backwards and forwards between the contacts while putting a little pressure on them. Clean the contacts afterwards with a bit of card soaked in petrol or methylated spirits and continue until card comes out clean.
Frank

could it be the motor windings, it is the only thing that was used. the pontential relay is new and so are the caps. I got the idler motor for nothing, that is probably why. It has done this from the very first day.

Back