What's new
What's new

vfd shutdown

berger

Aluminum
After contacting two different electricians to wire vfd, both declined. Okay, so I jumped in with both feet myself. I got the vfd up and running, but according to the manual, the proper way to shut down the machine is to use the run/start key. I can only get mine to shut down at the fuse box I installed, am I doing harm to the vfd by shutting it down this way? Phone tech said that it would be alright, instructions say otherwise. How do I wire foot brake into the unit, also need to hook the lamp up. By the way, if there is anybody in the Detroit/Downriver area familiar and good with these, glad to pay for any help. Vfd in question is teco jnev-203-h1.

What brand/model

The VFD will shut down with an "undervoltage trip" most likely..... Doubt it will harm anything, but I'd fix the issue.

Normally if you open the "enable" connection it will stop. maybe yours is set to "momentary" action for start and stop buttons? In that case you might need to find the 'stop button" connection and work with it. often they can be set either to "open for stop" 'close for stop". If the latter, it will run just fine with NO stop button (bad way to operate).

If you got it new it should be loaded with factory defaults which makes parameter F04 = 000.
I'd verify that first.
There may be a way to restore factory defaults but you'll have to invest some time reading the manual which IMHO is well worth the trouble.

As far as shutting down at the panel goes, I'm not certain but I think that's OK. The thing VFDs do not like is having the motor disconnected from the output.

Factory defaults from the VFD , Run/stop are a given. Something is not write , and why a tech would say that is ok does not seem acceptable . You have an issue somewhere within the settings or the unit itself.

B,

I have that same VFD and I don't see a way to shut it off. I have mine wired up to a plug so when i'm finished using it I just unplug it, LV (i'm assuming stands for Low Voltage) flashes on the display, and then it powers down. As far as I know if you don't disconnect the power the display will flash forever...

There is a distinction between shutdown and stopping the motor... I'm not clear in this case which is meant......

if it is just turning off when done, absolutely, hit the power to the VFD, no issue whatsoever..... Maybe I read it wrong, but it seemed like the OP was stopping the motor with the main power....otherwise why would there even be a question?

There is a distinction between shutdown and stopping the motor... I'm not clear in this case which is meant......

if it is just turning off when done, absolutely, hit the power to the VFD, no issue whatsoever..... Maybe I read it wrong, but it seemed like the OP was stopping the motor with the main power....otherwise why would there even be a question?

I thought he was trying to stop the motor spinning and could only do it by removing power.
You're right, it's not very clear.

After contacting two different electricians to wire VFD, both declined. Okay, so I jumped in with both feet myself. I got the vfd up and running, but according to the manual, the proper way to shut down the machine is to use the run/start key. I can only get mine to shut down at the fuse box I installed, am I doing harm to the vfd by shutting it down this way? Phone tech said that it would be alright, instructions say otherwise. How do I wire foot brake into the unit, also need to hook the lamp up. By the way, if there is anybody in the Detroit/Downriver area familiar and good with these, glad to pay for any help. Vfd in question is teco jnev-203-h1.

Not sure what you (and the subsequent poster) mean by "shut down". When you hit the Stop key, the motor should stop. The display will still be on, there is no "Power Off" switch on the VFD if that is what you are looking for. But when it is off, meaning stopped, there is no power on the motor. If you want to WORK ON THE MOTOR, then by all means you MUST open the disconnect switch (or unplug the power), you must do that no matter what kind of controller you have. That's the law.

If you are hitting the Stop button and the motor does not (eventually*) stop, then something in the VFD is incorrectly programmed. As mentioned earlier, if you bought it used, someone before you may have changed the factory default programming to be set up for an EXTERNAL start-stop command to be used with the digital input terminals. As was said, check the manual and read all of the parameters to understand what you have, or just do a factory reset back to the default values. That's what I ALWAYS do on a VFD that I did not personally program if I am going to use it. I want to know EXACTLY what it is set up to do, and with sometimes 100+ programmable functions, it's really easy to miss something.

* I say eventually because if you have it programmed for Decel, it will slow down over time.

Jreaf you are correct in saying that when you press the on off key nothing happens. have to use main breaker box to shut everthing down or turn everthing on,otherwise unit works just fine.I use toggle switch to go for-rev now anybody shed some light on how to wire lathe light and footbrake. Berger

I have never seen a Teco, but most drives must have the key pad (user interface?)activated in the set up parameters, otherwise they won't respond to any buttons.
Rob

Back