What's new
What's new

Toolmaster1D VFD conversion help and recommendations

toolmaster1d

Plastic
Greetings, I'm trying to purchase and connect a VFD to my Toolmaster1D.
Here is the data plate information.
G.E. model (5k180dj280)
2 (ab) horsepower 3 phase
Volts 208 – 220 – 440
Amps 6/3//7.2/3.6
Cycles 60/50
RPM 1730 // 1440
Deg C Rise 40 // 50
Service factor 1.2//1
Time rating cont.
Nema design B
Frame 180Y
Type K
Code K

I verified the wires are connected to be ran on 220.
The plan is to run 220 single phase into the VFD
I can think of 3 inputs for the VFD "hopefully this is the correct term"
On / Off
CW / CCW
Deceleration , my spindle brake is missing off my Mill.
Hopefully I can use the switches on the Mill to control these inputs.
Not too concerned about controlling RPM since it can be adjusted by turning a lever on the Toolmaster.
Please feel make suggestion or corrections.
Looking for a model and brand recommendations for a reliable VFD.
I would also hope the recommended VFD comes with a great set us instructions.
Thank you!

The 1D start and stop switches are down and away on the left side of the column; not too convenient. I'd ditch them for front-and-center controls on the VFD if I were doing this. CW/CCW is up top, away from the action. I'd go for VFD-mounted switches for this, too. (Both would be either VFD-located switches or a separate switch panel. Deceleration is probably programmable, but mechanical brake shouldn't be too hard to fix. OEM RPM adjust works OK, and maintains torque -- but VFD control would probably offer RPM readout. (Might have to adjust OEM setup for 1:1 ratio for this to be meaningful.)

The OEM switchgear all goes back to the rear-of-column electrics cavity -- but the CW/CCW probably is just up at the motor. The good thing is the motor wiring is convenient to intercept and re-purpose. Don't forget your E-stop.

Chip

Good points Chip, I didn't think about e-stop, that would be a good item to have.
I have read that VFD's should be away from the elements out of harms way. My spindle brake is gone completly as in missing in action. If I could find parts or the spindle brake assembly I would pick that up in a heartbeat. I have been searching but no luck. VFD switches, would they be part of the VFD screen or additional switches?
Thanks for your help!

Could be either, but a small custom switchbox at eye level near the downfeed lever would be my preference. Go, stop, CW/CCW, speed, brake (if separate) and whatever special things needed... Remote it back to the VFD, perhaps mounted where the motor feed line comes out of the column. If facing the operator, that would be close enough for things like tach display, and general warning/status indicators, so you wouldn't need to duplicate those. Many VFDs have membrane type switches, which may not 'do it' for the operator. Up to you guys.

Chip

Back